Season wrecker

megalomaniac

This guy is driving me crazy here in south MS. I first saw him right at dark a week and a half ago burning across a food plot behind a doe and couldn't get a shot off. Hunted him 6 more times since then, since he keeps coming out every night on camera. He's gotta make just one more mistake in the next month. Amazing how fired up I can get over a 95in buck, but this is about as good as they get down here
a3139f6ee661c5149916f3f7ad983186.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

It is fun tho... 1200 acres, 8 miles from my doorstep, and I'm the only member that has been here all weekend!

megalomaniac

Yes, SE Mississippi.... the big boy won tonight's game. Had a broken rack 2.5 yo 4ptr, spike, and an orphaned doe fawn come out right at dark. No big boy.

GRIT

I bet that buck is moving in the daytime probable within 500 yards or less from were your camera is at.

megalomaniac

GRIT":vn5va5xs said:
I bet that buck is moving in the daytime probable within 500 yards or less from were your camera is at.

I KNOW you are right, prob even closer than 500 yds. He's a homebody. The problem is, this food plot is in the middle of about 150 acres of inpenetrable thicket/ young pine/ mix of few older scattered hardwoods. Literally there is NO WAY to go after him, unless you are willing to get within 5 yards of his trail. He HAS to come out in the open to be killable. I got a pic of him on 1/9 at 10am working a scrape at the field edge, plus I've seen him alive with about 3 minutes of legal shooting light left; so he's already messed up twice. There's only one adult doe left in the area (other members have killed the other 2 adult does that were hitting the plot), so I'm just waiting for her to come in... should be soon, but hope it doesn't happen while I'm working all week :)

megalomaniac

Back after him again hoping he needs to feed before the bitter cold sets in tonight. Still coming by each night on cam. Have my 13 yo in the stand since school let out early.

megalomaniac

No joy tonight. Had a single antler less deer hit the feeder just as we were about to get down. Really surprised, figured they would have fed before dark. Was 36 when we hit the stand, and 26 and snowing when we left. 2.5 miles on the 4 wheeler in the snow was miserable! I did get a pic of him yest morn at 6am at the feeder... just a matter of time.... I hope

gtk

Staff member
the deer have seemed to vanish on our place this last week. . They do it every year about this time.. I'll go from seeing deer, to seeing zilch. this will last about a week, then they seem to come back at the end of season..

i have seen a good buck 4 times now, and he never ever presents a shot.. I've seen him crossing a very small opening, and standing in a thicket with nothing but antlers & ears showing. While the rest of the deer will cross a wide open spot in front of my stand, he will walk 150 yards around the opening never presenting a shot.. i'm hoping & praying my son gets him..

megalomaniac

went after him for a couple hours yesterday morning. Wanted to see how I could handle the cold, more than anything. 15 degrees, light north wind. I did fine till 8:45 (prob b/c wind was light). Left for work and it was still only 25 degrees. Pulled the card, he actually had not hit the feeder the past 2 nights. Not sure if he hunkered down or has wandered off with a doe to another part of the lease. Have to work all weekend, so I won't get back after him till next week.

Strict

South Mississippi (and Louisiana hunters) have the same reputation in MS as East TN hunters do here. :D

megalomaniac

Strict":1m420zvf said:
South Mississippi (and Louisiana hunters) have the same reputation in MS as East TN hunters do here. :D

LOL, nearly exact comparison... we are known as 'coastal trash' to the rest of the state :)

megalomaniac

Outdoor Enthusiast":mji1dlz7 said:
I feel like I am missing something here.....

Prob not missing anything. I'm just excited to find a mature buck on a 1200ac property in south MS.... they are rare as hen's teeth down here. Lots of spotlighting, killing way over limits, and just very few deer in general makes for some tough hunting. I've lived here 17 years... never even killed a buck here, never found one that even got me excited to hunt for. So this has been fun for me to actually see a buck I wouldn't mind shooting.

Latest posts