Search warrant for live wells ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I don't know if I dreamed this or I actually did read it on here?

Is there someone proposing a bill or something that would require twra to have a search warrant to look in your livewell/boat ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Found it

thats another point that needs to be addressed and that is endorcement and creel checks. imo, twra doesnt do enough of but then again their hands are tied for now, i imagine with the new acts and bills that john stevens is trying to pass. creel checks without a warrant might be the norm especially if a poacher with a little money can find another liberal judge that hates law enforcement to side with him.

@WTM
Are you serious?

WTM

i was just hypotheticalizing lol. but stevens did pretty much gut their leo authority in title 70, which gave them the authority to begin with for warrantless open filed searches.

one could say that since tn castle doctrine expands to a boat then a good lawyer could probably argue that a warrant would be required as in the updated statute pertaining to automobiles.

all youd have to do now is take a limit, put it on ice and take it to your vehicle and then rinse and repeat.

Sako

They cannot search your car without a warrant or your consent... I can see where this would apply as well. I could not care less since I do not keep fish but legally, I would think this is something someone eventually pursue

UpperTully

They cannot search your car without a warrant or your consent... I can see where this would apply as well. I could not care less since I do not keep fish but legally, I would think this is something someone eventually pursue
I agree. I don't see how your boat would be any different that your vehicle and wouldn't oppose a change requiring them to get a search warrant.

WTM

I agree. I don't see how your boat would be any different that your vehicle and wouldn't oppose a change requiring them to get a search warrant.
itd have to be a state law because the feds or coast guard can board you just because. that was one of the very first Acts of Congress.

Rabbitkil

i was just hypotheticalizing lol. but stevens did pretty much gut their leo authority in title 70, which gave them the authority to begin with for warrantless open filed searches.

one could say that since tn castle doctrine expands to a boat then a good lawyer could probably argue that a warrant would be required as in the updated statute pertaining to automobiles.

all youd have to do now is take a limit, put it on ice and take it to your vehicle and then rinse and repeat.

Expectation of privacy is what sets the vehicle apart from the home even tho the vehicle is included in castle doctrine

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

Lol thanks for the clarification!

Weegee

Probable cause. They can search your car with consent or probable cause. Like smelling the dope, they call in a dog. How would having fishing poles be any different.
Yeah, but having fishing poles is an indication that you're fishing, not violating creel limits.

scn

Sorry, that isn't true unless the recent changes have modified former court rulings. I would suspect that TN Supreme Court stands over the Chancery court mess.

It went to the TN Supreme Court decades ago in Monroe vs. State and was decided that due to exigent circumstances that they can search a vehicle.

Nothing to me, but I would hate to see someone get into a situation due to bad information.

Harold Money jr

Possessing a fishing pole in a car, in your hand, in your hand while walking beside a trout stream, in your hand while in a boat does not mean you're fishing or have fished. You must be observed casting, reeling, fishing etc. just once is all it takes. Having a gun in the car doesn't mean you've killed someone or attempted to kill someone.

Headhunter

The TWRA is dumpster fire and the dumpster is melting. Almost every single person I talk to is unhappy with some aspect of the TWRA. The TWRA is becoming our government. They do not go after or prosecute game law violators, well unless they have money. The immigrant population is raping most every fishery in this state every single day and the TWRA is doing nothing about it. NOTHING! Also the duck blind fiasco is unbelievable. They are like democrats, we will be as corrupt as wish and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is time for the TWRA to be disbanded and replaced by a group of people that care about wildlife and the everyday hunter and fisherman.

NAjoe

The TWRA is dumpster fire and the dumpster is melting. Almost every single person I talk to is unhappy with some aspect of the TWRA. The TWRA is becoming our government. They do not go after or prosecute game law violators, well unless they have money. The immigrant population is raping most every fishery in this state every single day and the TWRA is doing nothing about it. NOTHING! Also the duck blind fiasco is unbelievable. They are like democrats, we will be as corrupt as wish and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is time for the TWRA to be disbanded and replaced by a group of people that care about wildlife and the everyday hunter and fisherman.
Same is being said about the Alabama game and fish division. Utterly ridiculous. I reckon its just .gov being .gov

DoubleRidge

I hate that so many people have had such terrible experiences with TWRA officer's...so much bitterness? No doubt the Commission has made it's fair share of mistakes but my experience with wardens and other TWRA "boots on the ground" folk has been positive.....overall I support law enforcement and would welcome an officer to do his or her job....check my fishing license, check my hunting license, check my livewell, check my shotgun for a plug in the duck blind....DO YOUR JOB....I appreciate game wardens that do their job making sure the resource isn't bring taken advantage of by the few greedy poachers out there.... maybe if I have had terrible experiences like many of you I'd be singing a different song?....but I've been checked while fishing and duck hunting multiple times by TWRA and each time the wardens were very professional.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I hate that so many people have had such terrible experiences with TWRA officer's...so much bitterness? No doubt the Commission has made it's fair share of mistakes but my experience with wardens and other TWRA "boots on the ground" folk has been positive.....overall I support law enforcement and would welcome an officer to do his or her job....check my fishing license, check my hunting license, check my livewell, check my shotgun for a plug in the duck blind....DO YOUR JOB....I appreciate game wardens that do their job making sure the resource isn't bring taken advantage of by the few greedy poachers out there.... maybe if I have had terrible experiences like many of you I'd be singing a different song?....but I've been checked while fishing and duck hunting multiple times by TWRA and each time the wardens were very professional.
^^^^THIS^^^^

Latest posts