SCUBA

bobbuck

bobbuck

Any scuba divers on here? The wife and I did our classroom and pool training this past weekend and hope to get our open water done in June. It is something we should have done 25 years ago, but just finally got around to doing it. We have bought our regulators, BC's, fins, computers, masks, snorkels etc. So we are committed to getting into it and we are planning to move to the Caribbean so we should have lots of diving opportunities.

Any words of wisdom from the experienced divers for a newby would be greatly appreciated!

Planking

Planking

Keep an eye on your gauges and equipment. Study hard, stay calm and have fun.

Allen Sullivan

Allen Sullivan

I use to dive and was advance “deep dives” and got my nitrous. When you use nitrous you will never want to go back to compress air. Not as tired and can do a second dive quicker. Also helps deep dives over 100’ which I’ve sone several of those in the keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zulu

Zulu

Supporter
Buy a dive computer for yourself and your wife. It will significantly increase your bottom time vs using the charts. (edit -- sorry, see that you already bought them -- good).

Don't exceed you capabilities/training. SCUBA is extremely safe. EVERY accident I've heard about is someone trying to go beyond their training or abilities.

NEVER EVER EVER dive alone. Even if it's just down 20' to pick up something you dropped.

S

StalkingWolf

NASDS certified here. Spent a lot of time diving at Bull Shoals and Heber Springs Arkansas

Mudbone

Mudbone

When I saw the thread title all I could think of was the movie along came Polly with Ben StillerI think it was.

“Are you for scuba”

Lmao

D

Daniel n

Mudbone":1pif0hke said:
When I saw the thread title all I could think of was the movie along came Polly with Ben StillerI think it was.

“Are you for scuba”

Lmao
I thought the same thing!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

bobbuck

bobbuck

Allen Sullivan":io0dfaia said:
I use to dive and was advance “deep dives” and got my nitrous. When you use nitrous you will never want to go back to compress air. Not as tired and can do a second dive quicker. Also helps deep dives over 100’ which I’ve sone several of those in the keys.

We have already signed up for the Nitrox class. When they told us you would not be as tired I was sold on it.

Thanks for the responses and advice so far!

Allen Sullivan

Allen Sullivan

bobbuck":2zepsp4t said:
Allen Sullivan":2zepsp4t said:

We have already signed up for the Nitrox class. When they told us you would not be as tired I was sold on it.

Thanks for the responses and advice so far!

One other thing I found out is if you eat bananas before you dive it will help leg cramps.

Allen

duckduck84

duckduck84

Mudbone":1ycxv5b2 said:

“Are you for scuba”

Lmao
"Reuben, you are for scuba, no?!" lmao

We went when we were in Playa Del Carmen. Only a 30 foot dive but it was amazing. I'd love to go again.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

T

TraumaSlave

Stay away from cattle boats. It's no fun to dive with 20+ idiots kicking up silt and scaring off the wild life. I've dove from Lake Erie to Costa Rica. The Keys are by far my favorite. Get your fortitude in check and go out on a night dive. It's a whole different world.

S

Smo

I spent the Summer of 91’ diving in the Tennessee River for mussel shells.

Several hundred hours under the surface with mostly no visibility , keeping track of direction was hard to Master.

In salt water you will have better visibility , but still need a since if direction.

Make sure your knives are secure, there easy to lose. Carry more than one.

The only other tip I have is when you breath in and get all water , it’s time to surface.
LOL

Enjoy ! It sounds like y’all got a good plan.

G

gatodoc

I've had the opportunity to dive all over the Carribean. I love it. I think the most important thing I've seen and experienced is to not get overconfident and NEVER PANIC.

I had to catch my breath holding buddy coming up from 60' and make her breathe before she went further. Not fun,

W

Wiley

PADI certified here in almost every course they offered. I haven't been down since 1993 though when I was in the western Pacific for a while. Truk Lagoon was awesome. Best visiblility that I had was off the coast of Rota just north of Guam. We had 400+ feet of crystal clear water up there one weekend. It's easy to go too deep and not notice it in that kind visibility.

griz01

griz01

Allen Sullivan":3qcnqgfs said:

Please take a refresher before you dive Nitrox again. The two standard Nitrox blends are dangerous below 100 ft.

bobbuck

bobbuck

Thanks for all the great advise. Just booked a trip with our dive shop in June for Cozumel for a week. Should be fun!