Scouting for deer.

7mmDeathPunch

My father just purchased 90 acers in defeated creek for us to hunt.

My question is, whats the best way to scout out potential tree stand locations?

Game camera? Or a more traditional route and walk the land locating all the runs, food sources, bedding areas.

I obviously know the basics, as i stated above, but i was just wanting to get everyones imput.

So please post your favorite methods or whats worked well for you in the past.

Bone Collector

stik said:
topo maps and aerial photos to narrow down where to start then boots on the ground.

This^^^ trail cams can be used to survey the herd, but it is hard to use them to pinpoint where deer are or are going to be.

Boots on the ground will help you determine where the travel routes are and food sources. I'd go before the green up if possible.

7mmDeathPunch

They closed the deal today so i hope to get out their this weekend and really do some hiking. Going to try and walk the whole thing.

Ive been told their is a larg pond in the middle of the woods. Going to put a trail cam up near it to hopefully observe what all is using the water source, and how often. Maybe it will give me a good idea maybe it wont. The cordel hull is right on the other side of the road, not literaly but can be seen pulling in. They might avoid the pond and get some "fresher" water from the lake. Im not sure what shape the ponds in so will see.

Shed Hunter

90 acres is pretty easy to walk so I would walk the whole thing and look for the best place to put the camera as far as surveying goes. At this time of year I would also suggest starting a few mineral sites.

Redfred16

Definately get the topo map asap and pick some spots to check closely. Then like everyone else said walk the property. Mark tress that you may want to hunt from. Put a lick or 2 out along with a camera just to see what your herd looks like.

TENN.BOY

Topo maps and BOOTS ON THE GROUND is the best way to learn your property,and now is the the time to do it if you have the chance.

catman529

stik said:
topo maps and aerial photos to narrow down where to start then boots on the ground.
yup

google earth shows terrain and aerial imagery so I usually start there, and then walk the area. This is how I scout pretty much any spot on public land, for both deer and turkey.

Latest posts