• Help Support TNDeer:

Scoring !

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Volbuck777

I always go with gross score and b&c scoring I don’t even know any other scoring system. But I can understand what you’re saying snake, some things don’t make sense such adding width (air). Crazy they measure inside spread but don’t count tip to tip but theirs a place for you to write it in. It’s nonsense. Either way if it’s bone I’m counting it. I’ve posted a few deer on here scoring from 125 - 155 just so y’all all know that was gross scores. Net would have made them deer 118- 148 I believe.

mrw

I like the gross score because it gives me a much better mental picture of what the deer looks like than a net score. When someone says I killed a 150 inch buck, I always assume that it's a gross score. Your average hunter doesn't care about net scores. A deer that grosses 150 inches and nets 130 and a buck that grosses 130 and nets 130 are not equal in my eyes even though the record books say they are.

Omega

You know, I have never scored any of the deer I've taken. Not that I have taken any monsters, mind you, but I never even cared to do it. I usually just give weight and points, sometimes on the hoof, sometimes after field dressing, depending on when I have a scale handy. Like my last small buck, a 4 point, and one point may not be a "legal" point as I guesstimated the 1". He weighed 114lbs, I said he was small, on the hoof, and 94 lbs field dressed. I took these weights because I gave it to a friend and wanted to make sure he would be getting his money's worth at the processor. I feel as long as you give your reference, like 150 gross, or 150 net, its fine, others will get what you mean.
C38u9Nd.jpg

TN Larry

I like the gross score because it gives me a much better mental picture of what the deer looks like than a net score. When someone says I killed a 150 inch buck, I always assume that it's a gross score. Your average hunter doesn't care about net scores. A deer that grosses 150 inches and nets 130 and a buck that grosses 130 and nets 130 are not equal in my eyes even though the record books say they are.
I agree. I always tally the gross score. I don't really care what the net score is even though that is what the record books go for. I just want to know what he grew on top of his head and don't care how symmetrical that he is which is what you get with net. Just my opinion and no one is wrong, however, I always assume that most people who measure and state a score is stating a gross score.

DoubleRidge

It varies by deer honestly.....who cares about the net score? Nobody.... except the guy that killed an absolute beutiful typical 12 point that has under 1" deduction...that guy cares and is very happy with his symmetrical rare trophy....the B&C typical scoring system was designed to do just that.... measure how typical a rack is.

I agree....total antler growth is what's impressive....and I have bucks which the scoring system favored...and I have bucks that the scoring system did not favor...it can go both ways.

But honestly....if you want a good giggle....go find an official B&C or P&Y score sheet and look for the row or column that is titled "Gross Score"...it's not there....it's a term we as hunters (and North American Whitetail Magazine) developed many years ago.

But with all that being said....when I communicate a score of a buck I've taken I'll say "he grossed".....it sounds so much better than "he sub totalled"

Bone Collector

Supporter
NETS are for fish.

Honestly if it isn't going into the registry I am using gross. My OPINION is that if it grows it, it should count. Some hoity toity person decided it had to be perfectly symmetrical or it gets deductions. If I am not registering it, I do not care how they feel about it. Now, if I do ever get one that may be book worthy, then if those are the rules those are the rules and I'll disagree with them, but will abide.

This question don't make sense ! Of course I'd want to kill a world record who wouldn't . But how would it qualify for a world record ? By B&C scoring .
I referencing back to headhunter about one of his comments saying he would rather have a 140-150 clean 10 point than the tucker buck. Sorry I should have quoted him in my post.

DoubleRidge

Not to go off topic.....but someone in previous post mentioned the Tennessee Deer Registry..... interesting record or history of bucks that have been scored in our state....over a year ago (not sure exactly when) the registry went through a format change....new format is nice....easy to search by county, wma, hunter name, etc......but unfortunately some of the data is missing and some of the dates are wrong.....not saying it's wide spread .....but there's issues.....I contacted the number provided and was connected with a very nice lady who was very helpful in explaining the situation and that they were working on it.....that was a year ago? Same issue today? missing data and incorrect dates? ..... hopefully eventually it gets corrected....hope so....it's an interesting historical record.

Arrowslanger

If he grows it it should count. I’ve always wondered why they couldn’t be measured by displacement of a liquid. Measurements givien in ml displaced. It would account for all mass and no air. Only problem is you couldn’t compare to deer scored in the past.
Agree with this assessment, displacement would account for all aspects

AlabamaSwamper

Define correct way?

the total gross score is really all that matters.

I’ve scored some 180”+ for BTR that wouldn’t net 160”. Kinda ridiculous to award for perfection and not what was grown.

of course BTR doesn’t count spread in official score. That’s the old Canadian system that Thornberry brought down after guiding for decades up there. Although not the reasoning, it does allow broke skull plates to be entered. I’ve seen more than a couple of true net Booners that couldn’t be scored because of that.

Latest posts