Scope

philsanchez76

Id go with a second hand Nikon for that budget. Glass seems much clearer and brighter in low light than my comparable vortex scopes. If you go a tad higher the Sightron STAC is very nice for a little over $300 and the thing is built like a tank.

GMB54

Id go with a second hand Nikon for that budget. Glass seems much clearer and brighter in low light than my comparable vortex scopes. If you go a tad higher the Sightron STAC is very nice for a little over $300 and the thing is built like a tank.
You can get one at Cameraland for under $250 right now but its the MOA-3 reticle. Pretty thin for hunting. The DiamondBack HP is real good for a $200 scope. Nicer glass and eye relief than a standard DB. The STAC is a excellent scope for the money but it is a little heavy and the windage knob might get in the way on some rifles. Other than that i love my Sightrons.

Last edited:

philsanchez76

You can get one at Cameraland for under $250 right now but its the MOA-3 reticle. Pretty thin for hunting. The DiamondBack HP is real good for a $200 scope. Nicer glass and eye relief than a standard DB. The STAC is a excellent scope for the money but it is a little heavy and the windage knob might get in the way on some rifles. Other than that i love my Sightrons.
You're right about being heavy on the adjustment knobs. scope is kind of heavy all the way around, but I needed something that would hold up on my smokeless muzzleloader, and this thing has eaten hundreds of rounds now with zero hiccups.

PillsburyDoughboy

ANY second hand Nikon is NOT going to carry any warranty and Optics clarity will probably be a few years behind.

Ur probably best buying a Leupold budget priced whatever or Redfield and going with that.

GMB54

You're right about being heavy on the adjustment knobs. scope is kind of heavy all the way around, but I needed something that would hold up on my smokeless muzzleloader, and this thing has eaten hundreds of rounds now with zero hiccups.
They are well known for being extremely durable. The discontinued 2.5-15x56 IR model had some reliability issues but the 3-16 and 4-20 are both solid scopes. If a 24oz scope is not too much then you probably wont find anything better for $350. Its a steal at $250 if you can deal with the fine MOA-3 reticle. I do like my SII Big Sky better as a hunting scope. Much lighter, toolless zero reset and still has excellent eye relief.

Black Titan

Check out what athlon optics has to offer. They have quite a few great scopes. The Argos BTR gen 2 has amazingly clear glass, and sometimes you can find deals near your price range, just gotta search around. Pretty economical way to get into a first focal plane scope as well if you're interested in that.

BT

GOODWIN

I would buy bushnell dusk and dawn before any vortex under 500! I just don't understand how they got such a following. With a 200 budget hold out for used nikon or leupold
I agree. I've not owned any higher end Vortex scopes but theirs made in the Philippines are junk. Diamondback specifically

GMB54

Bushnell also has a new line of Elite 4500 4x scopes but unlike the old Elites its made in Korea. Very good eye relief and plane duplex reticles. They start at around $200 on sale.

Latest posts