Scope Opinion

Wade195

For me, I like the earlier VXIII scope, without the turret. It just seems simple, with less chances of anything wrong to happen.

But I understand everyone is different. I'm just old. lol 😆

44 mag

I don't see how CDS is worth anything. The turret you get is for one load at one velocity. If you ever change that the turret is off and you have figure out your dope based on range sessions like every other scope.
I like the CDS but I understand that I am in the minority as once it mount a scope on a rifle I never take it off. I don't swap scopes around like some people do and I don't sell guns lol. Once scope per rifle works for me.

PillsburyDoughboy

Please expand on the "worked as intended". Tell me why you weren't impressed even if the glass is good and clear
Glass is about as good as it gets for the pricepoint. The CDS dial is perfection for a hunter that does not want to dial it in or use a APP that uses wind and calculations. If you are a hunter and have a decent laser range finder. Once you have the CDS dialed in you just dial in your range, 200, 300 , 400, 500 , 600 yards on the dial and your done.

Setting up the CDS dial requires some imput on your part to Leupold. You have to send the dial into Leupold with your load data. The more data you send them the more accurate results you are going to get back on the dial. You should send them such information on Caliber, Bullet Weight, Velosity, Zero, Altitude, Cronograph Results. ETC. Leupold will send you back a engraved CDS Dial . If you ever change loads they will charge you for a second Dial.

Ive found them to be incredibly spot on for general hunting porposes once you feed Leupold the right information. Target shooters may prefer a dail system with more precise dialing.

Leupold's Custom Dial System® (CDS®) helps you easily compensate for bullet drop and make ultra-quick adjustments on the fly. We'll customize your scope's elevation dial to match your exact load, muzzle velocity, and environmental conditions for unprecedented precision.

Every CDS model scope is eligible for one free custom dial. Enter the serial number of the scope and your ballistics below to redeem your free dial. Additional custom dials can be purchased for $80.00 each. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Last edited:

PillsburyDoughboy

I like the CDS but I understand that I am in the minority as once it mount a scope on a rifle I never take it off. I don't swap scopes around like some people do and I don't sell guns lol. Once scope per rifle works for me.
Agreed. Loads come and go sometimes. I know my son is struggling to find a certain load that has been discontinued by the Manufacture without paying a arm and a leg so he has just resigned himself to finding a new load and ordering up a new CDS dial. Much cheaper in the long run instead of paying for over priced out of stock outdated ammo.

Twinshooter

Take a look at either Nightforce or Vortex scopes, I have one of each and I love the clarity of each, yes they can be costly but if you go and sight in and make a dope chart you won't regret it. I am confident in making a 600 yard shot if needed, because I am zeroed in at 200 yards out and go to our range and regularly make good shots out to 750 yards. I could not with some of the cheaper scopes or your 3 x 9s , of course I am 72 yo and a 12x25x50 sure makes me a better shot. with my 7 mag, and 300.
Hopes this helps and remember this is just my opinion.

PillsburyDoughboy

For me, I like the earlier VXIII scope, without the turret. It just seems simple, with less chances of anything wrong to happen.

But I understand everyone is different. I'm just old. lol 😆
VXIII Glass was great and still is but the VX3-HD Glass is just a HUGE step up in terms of Clarity and light gathering IMHO. If you hold them side by side at twillight that is where you will see the difference.