Scope for Elk Gun

David

Going on first elk hunt next year and need help with scope selection. What do most people use? Not very experienced in this area.

What i was considering was a 4.5x14x40, but would like feedback if thats sufficient or need to go bigger? Ive always used Leupold, but welcome other options i should consider as well.

Thanks,
David

gtk

Staff member
Depends on terrain you will be hunting. 4.5-15x44 will prob be my next scope. Currently i have a 3-9x50 zeiss on my main rifle, and a 3-12x40 on my back up rifle.

fairchaser

It depends on your maximum comfort range. Personally I just bought a 6-24x50 Vortex Viper HST for my western rifle in 300wm. When shooting 300+ yds, the extra magnification is nice. Aim small miss small.

cmn

I would go with the 4.5x14...Guided elk for 25 years so far...many shots well under 400. I WON'T let most clients shoot that far...I can remember a bunch of times the shots were well under 200...seen way too many things happen at "extreme" ranges. Yes I know many think I am old school...Animals are not targets...

LanceS4803

I just got from a MZ elk hunt in Utah. Used a Leupold VX6 2-12.
I wanted something I could dial all the way down for deep timber use, but also dial up for long distance. At 200yds, at 12X, a bull elk fills up a large portion of the view.
Ended up using a lower magnification to do an offhand shot at 100yds.

David

Here is what i have narrowed it down to. Leupold VX-5HD 3x15x44. I think that would work well if i had closer range, but give me the longer range capability as well. Thoughts?

gtk

Staff member
David":3fl5l3wn said:
Here is what i have narrowed it down to. Leupold VX-5HD 3x15x44. I think that would work well if i had closer range, but give me the longer range capability as well. Thoughts?
that would work great for what you want.

LanceS4803

Sounds good.
The more light gathering, the better. The elk we were after didn't come out until the last 10 or 15 minutes of legal light. It was just too hot. That VX-6 was amazing in low light, clearly picking up elk I could barely make out with binos. The little firedot was a help, also.

Latest posts