Scope for CVA Optima V2

jbranham63

Looking for a Nikon Inline XR BDC 300 scope or a Nikon muzzleloader scope if not the inline xr. Just got a new cva optima v2 and wanting one of these for it. If anyone has one that they would part with for a reasonable price then just shoot me a message! Or if anyone would recommend a different brand of scope that is comparable to the Nikon Inline XR. Thanks!

TNlandowner

I use a Burris Fullfield II 2x7x35 scope on my CVA. I love this small, lightweight scope with the ballistic plex reticle. I have not had to re-zero the scope over the last four years. Granted, I may only fire 4 - 5 shots a season with zero confirmation out to 200 yards and then during ML season.
MZ scope.jpg

DaveTN

Maybe check this out.....
LEUPOLD VX-FREEDOM 3-9X40 MUZZLELOADER ULTIMATESLAM

GMB54

MidwayUSA has the DiamondBack HP on sale again for $200. Under 20oz and 4" of eye relief.

The 3-12 would be better. They go on sale occasionally too.

Last edited:

GMB54

I have the Vortex crossfire on my Cva, and really like it, Nikon no longer make scopes.
Not only that, you are SOL if you need warranty work. They will not repair or replace any scope now. You get a voucher you can use on their website ONLY (last i heard). Money off full MSRP more than likey is no better pricing than getting it from another online vendor.

Loopie might still have something similar but it wont have the 5" of eye relief like the Inline XR or Omega scopes had. I think they still sell a ML dedicated in the VX Freedom line. They are just a tiny bit pricey for what you get.

VX Freedom Ultimate Slam is what they call their ML scope. Its MSRP is $300.

GMB54

The Loopies for 450 Bushmaster will be close too. Ballistically speaking, a upper end 250gr SST ML BH209 load is pretty close to a 250gr 450BM load. To me though all this BDC talk and especially 300 yard stuff is a moot point. Common loads will be garbage by the time they reach 300 yards. FPS/FPE will have fallen to pathetic levels and them ML BDCs are usually for something like a 250gr SST@2100fps+.

Just get a good scope and figure out the max point blank range for your zero. Something like zeroed at 150 will be close to point and shoot to 200yards with a good bullet like a Parker BE or Fury. Then practice shooting to 200 yards. That Diamondback HP will handle that with ease and cost you $100 less than a 3x9 Loopie Ultimate Slam. Plus the Ultimate Slam reticle is kinda trash. I had one in a Redfield when Leupold was making them.

The 450BM Leupold has a duplex reticle with a turret calibrated for a 250gr FTX at 2200fps. A 120gr load of BH209 and a 250gr SST is almost that fast.

Last edited:

squirrel_hunter

I have a new old stock nikon buckmaster 3x9x50mm still in the box. I wont shoot much pass 200 yds. I bought extra 250 gr sst bullets. Planning on shooting it at different ranges. To get used to the scope. At first i was going to buy a 4x12x40mm to go on it. And backed out of it. And going to put a 3x9x40 on it. I just passed on a Leopold freedom 4x12x40mm for 150.00

BSK

I went with the 2-7 VX Freedom on my MZ and LOVE it! But then I don't take long shots, so I don't need a lot of magnification. In fact, getting as low of magnification as I could find was critical (for short-range shots) hence the lowest power 2x.