School me on electric fence

T

TraumaSlave

I give up. PIA horse likes to get out and yesterday, he tried to jump the fence and got hung up with his leg woven. Decided for negative reinforcement and go with an electric fence. Needs pros and cons of wire vs web vs rope. Also figure on getting solar. Know nothing about them. Fence is only about 700 yrds with a mix of barbed wire and field fence.
Unless, so.eone is looking to give two beautiful walkers a good home.

Hardwoodmaterials

Hardwoodmaterials

Don't go cheap on your box or your wasting your time. Make sure you get one that's plenty strong enough to run the length you want plus a lot more and that it won't ground out when every little thing touches it. You can get a tester or just a piece of wet grass will work if you don't mind a little tingle to go around and spot check it every once in a while.

TreyB

TreyB

TraumaSlave":10k0y85q said:
I give up. PIA horse likes to get out and yesterday, he tried to jump the fence and got hung up with his leg woven. Decided for negative reinforcement and go with an electric fence. Needs pros and cons of wire vs web vs rope. Also figure on getting solar. Know nothing about them. Fence is only about 700 yrds with a mix of barbed wire and field fence.
Unless, so.eone is looking to give two beautiful walkers a good home.

I started this thread a few weeks ago. Maybe this will help you.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=355351

bigjohn

bigjohn

I have several Parmak chargers I use for cattle and the work great. Biggest thing I've seen on wire vs the wide tape is they are able to see the tape and they tend not to tear it down on accident so easy. Deer and other things see it to and don't get in it. If you go with wire tie some flagging tape on it so they see it easier every few feet.

P

poorhunter

For horses, use the poly tape 2" wide. That's what folks use for horses. Also just make sure you get a fencer strong enough, look at the recommendation on the fencer to see if it's good for horses.

TNGRIZZLY_

TNGRIZZLY_

I recommend to put it on the inside the fence about a foot. I had to to keep mine off the cattle fence that way.

Remington700

Remington700

I have horses and some of them are escape artists. That is until I hooked up my electric fence. They get a lesson quick with it and dont attempt to escape after that.