School me on campers

1908_Cubbies

1908_Cubbies

Supporter
I am considering purchasing a smaller camper for my wife and I to do a cross country trip in for our 20th anniversary. I'm torn between a small (18ft-ish) travel trailer or a large pop-up. I have had campers at both ends of the spectrum (33 footer and tiny popup) and wasn't really happy with either. The tiny popup didn't have the comforts that we discovered are important to us such as A/C, shower, toilet, etc and the 33 footer sucked towing in larger cities. I've been looking at the newer larger popups with king heated beds, electric lifts, small showers and cassette toilets. I like the idea of how easy these would be to tow with my half ton truck but I'm also considering the small trailers and hybrids. As mentioned, I plan to take a 3 week trip out to the left coast and back. Do any of you have a similar rigs or tried them out? I know the hard side trailer would be more comfortable to stay in, but I know that I am going to be spending more time towing than hanging out in the camper. I just don't want to get something that would limit where I could visit or be a large hassle. Thanks!

JeepKuntry

JeepKuntry

I owned two campers. My first and last. My only advice is to research what materials are used. Many are prone to leaking around the roof. Mine did.

Wildcat

Wildcat

Supporter
From what you said get the pop-up. You said, " be spending more time towing than hanging out in the camper" and for me that tells it all.

Number one, the larger pop-up will be easier to tow than a smaller one, I learned that. Also the pop-ups are lowed than the tall regular campers and you are not fighting the wind as much.

Good time Charlie

Good time Charlie

I would consider a c class motorhome

They are not that high if you can find a nice used one.

M

Mike Belt

Sounds like you'd be more interested in a popup type camper. I wouldn't give you $5 for any canvas roofed popup but I do like the high/low hard shelled popups. You have wall space to hang cabinets and don't have to worry about the leaks you do canvas.

pressfit

pressfit

I have had a 38' travel trailer.. too long
A hybrid that was 18' long.. it was great but to small for 5 of us
Plus the beds were pop out type and you will freeze your buns off in cold weather..
Had a 38' diesel pusher.. really liked it.. towed a jeep behind it.. had a terrible water damage claim from a leaky toilet and traded it in on a new 28' travel trailer with one slide.. it's really nice, tows wonderfully .. I bought the stabilizer arms to go with it..

Forvols

Forvols

Thought this was going to be "campers" in the camp ground type people..I had a 28ft I think baseline camper no slides etc. If I was doing a cross country trip and could afford it I would go with a pusher about 25-30ft and a tow behind vehicle. Have the best of both that way, not bad for towing in cities, comfort, additional vehicle for site seeing or if there are camper issues etc and you have to hold over in a hotel for repairs. Either way I would definitely replace the mattress that came with the camper for the main bed.

Snake

Snake

In 1998 I bought a new StarCraft pop up camper that was fully self contained with air , thought I wanted something bigger so I bought a 30ft Coleman in 2000 so we gave the pop up to my son . Although the larger camper was nice with the room I missed the little pop up because with my truck you never knew it was back there . Pulled to the top of the mountain around Chatsworth , Ga. I think they call it Fort Mountain , no trouble at all . Thinking back on it I think I would either want a pop up of one of those hybrids .

E

eddie c

Last August I spent 2 weeks pulling my 20' box to CO and back. One thing I noticed there were a lot of families touring in a rental c class campers. You might check that option.

U

Urban_Hunter

If you're traveling that far I wouldn't want a pop up. Pull into a spot and it's raining you're out there trying to get setup is a mess. At least if you're in a box you can jump in it for the night and level it up and everything in the morning. I hate canvas and I hate slides. If it was me I'd have someone similar to a wolf pup, 15-18ft self contained lightweight camper

P

PalsPal

I have no advice on which would be better but if that trip is the main reason for getting one, would you not be better off to just rent one?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

medic

medic

I started out in a used Coleman pop-up with AC , sink and 2 burner gas top. I really liked it for been easy to pull and I could set it up in about 20 mins. We moved up to a fifth wheel after that mainly for comfort but can be a pain to pull in confined areas. I sill miss the pop-up because you can un-zip the sides around the bed to let air in. Like other have said if the trip is the only reason to buy one I would look at a rental. If you do buy a camper look it over with a magnifying glass for water damage. I have had 3 fifth wheels and all 3 had water damage.

M

Mattt

I've had three. buy used, and u will be money ahead. The rental idea is a good one if u are uncertain about camper life. U can lose a lot of money fast on an rv.

1908_Cubbies

1908_Cubbies

Supporter
ronnycl":qhwxxx3m said:

I did look at this option, but most run $99 a day and up. I just feel that if I'm already going to be out $2,100+, I would be better off to just buy something that I could later sell if I didn't use it.

Thanks for everyone's input!

E

eddie c

At $99 a day you would still come out ahead in the long run. Unless you plan to get into"camping life".
A few years ago I bought a used popup for a widow that had bought it 3 years before new. It had problems from the beginning and they maintain it. I bought it for hunting and getting away from the wife for a few days. Then my wife jumped in one weekend. More time was wasted with her organizing during setup and pack up on trips than was worth it even on a one-nighter. I bought a hard side. Now it's pull in, stabilize and go to sleep. One advantage on our trip was the restroom was coming with us. All I had to do was pull over and unlock the door.

TNGRIZZLY_

TNGRIZZLY_

eddie c":bx6tlxmk said:
One advantage on our trip was the restroom was coming with us. All I had to do was pull over and unlock the door.

yea this is a big reason I love ours on trips, I have crohn's disease and this is a comfort for me.