Scariest movie you've ever seen

BSK

One that stands out to me is the Amityville Horror. New or old both of them made me pretty uneasy.
The original book was terrifying. Movies didn't do much for me.
I love the original Halloween. It never really scared me all that bad, maybe when I was younger but I think it’s just a classic, campy kind of horror flick. Original night of the living dead I enjoy a lot too. All black & white.
Night of the Living Dead - watch it every Halloween.

Claims Rep.

Jaws. I saw it when it first hit the theaters and I was 8 years old. I wouldn’t even get in the bathtub after that movie. No lie. Scared me something bad for an 8 year old.

Crow Terminator

Paranormal Activity...the 1st and 2nd one.

It probably won't scare you while you're watching it...but they are the kind of movies that after you watch them, they make you super jumpy and sensitive to every little sound and movement in your house. You might even sleep with the light on afterwards. Every time I watch them, I swear I see things move in my house out of the corner of my eyes. All of the rest of the aforementioned ones...don't do anything for me. Most are predictable and cheesy. Paranormal Activity messes with me...hits too close to what I've actually experienced.

kaizen leader

Give me a hand here guys. With Halloween coming up, I can't seem to find any movie that scares my 21-year-old daughter. I don't know if it's growing up on social media or what, but NOTHING seems to scare her. I've even shown her two of the movies that, in my youth, scared the living crap out of me: "The Exorcist" and John Carpenters "The Thing." I had nightmares for a week after seeing both of those. Didn't faze her a bit. My last hope is "Alien" and "Aliens."

Any other ideas?
Freddy Kruger

Steverino

Supporter
I"m a big fan of scary movies - been watching them since I could watch TV. I have a good collection of the major 1930s movies. But I'll submit 3 that are subtle. Thing is if you watch the movies without getting involved youre probably gonna miss the thrill. If you get caught up in the stories and use the special effects as augmenting the storyline these 3 will make you squirm.

1. The original 1963 Haunting. Black and white movie and you'll never see the ghost. Thats all I'll say I was home alone when this was on TV and in 8th grade I think. I watched it from the kitchen - couldn't be in the family room with the TV. Years later I had my baby brother over for an overnighter to watch it - scared the crap out of him. We watch our copy every year, just a great storyline and acting. Great movie for a rainy fall evening. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

2. Ex Machina, very creepy movie about a brilliant inventor who has been developing high end AI robots in humanoid bodies. A young promising AI student progammer is invited to study and interrogate his latest creation and gets seduced by her. Thats all I'm saying. Its a bit slow but gains momentum. Lots of hints dropped to the ending if youre paying attention.

3. The Hungry Glass Very early episode of Karloff's early 60s TV series "Thriller" Starring William Shatner as a young married salesman who buys a big house up on a high cliff overlooking the ocean - in Maine I think. One windy rainy night, they invite their real estate agent over for steaks and champagne and the ladies go exploring while Shatner develops film in the basement, he gets an apparition of a womans face in a doorway. The ladies find a secret room in the attic full of antique mirrors. Soon enough the men hear screams coming from upstairs. Scared the crap out of me. It was probably one of the best shows of the series.

Honorable Mention: The Devil's Advocate starring Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves. This will bring up the hair on your neck. The storyline is everything.

Last edited:

BSK

Paranormal Activity...the 1st and 2nd one.
It must be something about the younger generation and "documentary/reality" style filming. I had the same reaction to Paranormal Activity as I did the Blair Witch. They just didn't do anything for me. But those two movies seem to scare the crap out of the younger generation. I wonder why that is?

BSK

1. The original 1963 Haunting. Black and white movie and you'll never see the ghost. Thats all I'll say I was home alone when this was on TV and in 8th grade I think. I watched it from the kitchen - couldn't be in the family room with the TV. Years later I had my baby brother over for an overnighter to watch it - scared the crap out of him. We watch our copy every year, just a great storyline and acting. Great movie for a rainy fall evening. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/
In my family, "The Haunting" is considered one of the scariest movies we've ever seen. But so much of it is your own imagination. The Book, The Haunting of Hill House is even scarier.

Latest posts