savage

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Only difference between regular 16/116 and the FCSS is the Accustock and magazine configuration. After handling both and not being impressed with the Accustock, I found a good deal on the 116 and bought a B&C stock and magazine surround. I have been very pleased. Silly accurate. Your needs may vary, and you may be fine with the Accustock, but handle both before buying, unless it's a really good deal or used...

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Accustock has decent rigidity up and down, but the bedding block is narrow and doesn't prevent twisting. I use a bipod/shooting sticks frequently, and this causes more twisting or side to side forces when I load them up with the sling. The Accustock does not prevent stock/barrel contact with this type of use, but the B&C stock is much more rigid in those areas.

If you don't put much pressure beyond a few inches forward of the action in the way that you shoot then the Accustock will likely be just fine for you.

Hope that this helps and makes sense.

DaveB

touch and feel....I have found only one non-wood factory stock i like and that's on my A-Bolt 300. The non-accustock from Savage is pretty much junk it flexes so much. As you squeeze the trigger the action moves the muzzle down you can actually see it.

The Accustock is supposed to be very much better.

As for accuracy Savage seems to have the recipe.

As for the aesthetics, well, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

280longshot

I own one Savage 10 in 243 caliber, shoots great( 1/2" grps) with some reloads and factory ammo as well. The only complaint is Savage cut corners on the plastic bottom which I replaced with an all metal bottom. I have the wood stock, just something about those factory plastic stocks I just don't like including the Accustock.

DaveB

I think i saw a Savage Axis in 6.5 on sale at Academy.

The new Axis models are greatly improved over the original. the one we have in .223 is literally a tack driver.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Just purchased a savage 16 Light weight in 6.5 last week. Absolutely love this gun. It shoots much better than i can. Stock feels cheap but i have no interest in changing it. It's fine the way it is for me.

Latest posts