Savage MLII powder

recurve60#

Ive shot a Savage smokeless for 20yrs and IMR4227 was recommended in the manual.
I bought another MLII from a member here and the manual with it does not have this powder listed as recommended.
I do not understand this. My other rifle is dead nuts accurate with this powder and I want to at least give it a run in my newer gun, but have my reservations. Could it be a pressure difference between powders and Savage changed something in the metal of later year rifles?

Andy S.

Were both MLII models? To my knowledge, and from what I have read, IMR-4227 is fine at the recommended charges in the first ML2 manual. I believe the additional powders listed in the later/newer ML2 manual manual were "in addition to" the approved powders in the first ML2 manual, basically adding powder options for shooters. You can reference all of the Savage ML manuals at the link below:

Savage MLer Manuals

philsanchez76

from tests Ive seen imr4227 can build pressures higher and quicker than other common smokeless mz powders like 4198 and such. I have great success with my converted CVA scout and imr4227, but I do keep the charges a little lower than some other powders. It also seems to do better with lighter weight projectiles. I use it for 200-250 grainers in 45 caliber. the 4198 does better if you're shooting 275 grain and heavier.

Dennis

4227 was dirty and inconsistent so Savage dropped it from the list of recommended powders if I recall correctly.

VV-n120 and n110 are good choices depending on bullet weight.

GMB54

Savage dropped 4227 because it was not as reliable as the other book powders. Its listed again in their updated load data or it was. I have not checked recently. N110 makes more fps with less powder, much cleaner and is dead nuts reliable.

Keep the breach plug clean as directed in the manual and use a good tight sabot. You should be fine with 4227 also. Personally, i would not use it with a 250gr bullet. Reliability goes up with a 300gr. 4227 was made for magnum handgun loads and really loves pressure to burn well.

Last edited:

recurve60#

Savage dropped 4227 because it was not as reliable as the other book powders. Its listed again in their updated load data or it was. I have not checked recently. N110 makes more fps with less powder, much cleaner and is dead nuts reliable.

Keep the breach plug clean as directed in the manual and use a good tight sabot. You should be fine with 4227 also. Personally, i would not use it with a 250gr bullet. Reliability goes up with a 300gr. 4227 was made for magnum handgun loads and really loves pressure to burn well.
Thanks. Im.gonna try 4227 out since I have a bunch. Its puts em in a skoal can at 200yrds with my older Savage.

Latest posts