Savage ml2 question

ADR

Been many years since I've owned one. Buddy just received a new in box when his dad passed. Is the scope base for a short or long action savage?
Thanks Steve
At one time there was a lot talk about making sure the front base/front portion of the base was not overlapping/touching the recoil lug. Many said it would interfere with the base thus causing accuracy issues. Unsure if this was ever found to be true or debunked but maybe someone can chime in to shed a little light on the subject.

jlanecr500

At one time there was a lot talk about making sure the front base/front portion of the base was not overlapping/touching the recoil lug. Many said it would interfere with the base thus causing accuracy issues. Unsure if this was ever found to be true or debunked but maybe someone can chime in to shed a little light on the subject.
If the recoil lug extends above the reciever, you must remove material from the scope base bottom area where it is over the recoil lug.

Shag

If the recoil lug extends above the reciever, you must remove material from the scope base bottom area where it is over the recoil lug.
Yep! I put new scope, rings and bases on 2 of them, two days before ML season opened. I took a dremel to the bases and cut them down to clear the lug. Also, the rear base is different between the older models (flat) and the newer accutrigger models (rounded).

PillsburyDoughboy

Shag Covered it pretty well. Make sure you know which model you have when you order scope bases. There are Older Model flats and newer model that are rounded. You will probably get people telling you that One piece bases are the way to go. That they are stronger. Yada Yada Yada. Not sure that is true. I tend to like two Piece Bases as they allow you more clearance into the action as I have fairly large hands.

Latest posts