Sauger on Old Hickory?

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I've been wanting to learn about catching sauger on on Old Hickory and have not been having much luck. Do any of you guys go after them. I mostly fish around Bledsoe Creek right now. I have been told they are around but, I cant seem to find them.

WTM

ive never fished old hickory but have fished for them all over the tenn river system(west). sauger go into the creeks at night then stage along the channel breaks during daylight. in january the first place to search is somewhere around 30-40 ft deep along the channel ledge. in february theyll stage shallower around 15-25 ft when the days get longer to spawn.

if it where me id search around that 30 ft range along to channel edge and along that creek channel off the main channel. if you havent already.

C83B369D-C692-4507-A7F6-021C2707AC57.jpg

Last edited:

TNReb

I wish I could help. I've caught a few while bass fishing, but never specifically targeted them.

Judging by what WTM says, I'd target the mouth of Bledsoe near the island where the channel is deepest.

Do you bass fish in Bledsoe much? I've fished up that way a lot, but never put much time into Bledsoe. I usually fish the other side - the Cairo Bend area, Bartons Creek, and Spring Creeek.

WTM

I wish I could help. I've caught a few while bass fishing, but never specifically targeted them.

Judging by what WTM says, I'd target the mouth of Bledsoe near the island where the channel is deepest.

Do you bass fish in Bledsoe much? I've fished up that way a lot, but never put much time into Bledsoe. I usually fish the other side - the Cairo Bend area, Bartons Creek, and Spring Creeek.
islands on the back side of the current are excellent spots to check as well. the last good ones we caught 4 years ago were at the end of an island right beside the river channel. the years prior we caught them out of creek mouths. the only thing i can think of it gets them out of heavy current.

this bend looks like a good spot and eerily familiar to a place we fish on KY lake.

B2F20BD7-CFEA-4E95-A5A3-EAC718965ADA.jpg

WTM

i do most of my fishing in february and the first week in march, but dont know about OH. usually by then the water temp will be in range and the days will be getting longer triggering the spawn and theyll be near creek mouths. i keep saying this year should be good due to nobody really fishing for them in the last 3-4 years but i dont really know how the floods affected their spawn either. some good size fish were incidentally caught in the summer but who knows. hopefully the jan and february flooding are behind us for a while.

good luck in your search

bowhunterfanatic

If you don't mind the drive make a trip down to the Savannah area and fish on the TN River. Fishing was pretty good in December and has started off well this year as well. The biggest number of fish are still being caught below Pickwick Dam but a few fish are starting to show up downriver as well.

Latest posts