Sandhill crane ?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Absolutely.

Honestly depends on how high they fly when passing in a given spot (I at least find that to be consistent). I've got some spots they fly low enough I'd actually take #2's instead. On others BB and a modified choke is probably a must.

Antler Daddy

Yeah, evidently they have a sandhill crane festival somewhere.

I tracked down two outfitters on Facebook called Double HH Outfitters, LLC and Always Something Outdoor. They are fully booked with a waiting list.

Interesting article:

I'm just a one gun double barrel newbie looking to go on a bird hunt, but don't want to travel to west TN.

I don't know what shot I need eithter.....but it won't matter without a guide or someone looking for a tag along.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. Does anyone know if I need a duck stamp as well? Do cranes and ducks use same areas?

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Yeah, evidently they have a sandhill crane festival somewhere.

I tracked down an outfitter on Facebook called Double HH Outfitters, LLC and they are fully booked with a waiting list.

I'm just a one gun double barrel newbie looking to go on a bird hunt, but don't want to travel to west TN.
T
I don't know what shot I need eithter.....but it won't matter without a guide or someone looking for a tag along.

I don't mean to hijack this thread. Does anyone know if I need a duck stamp as well? Do cranes and ducks use same areas?
Yes you will need the duck stamp.
Around here there are usually no ducks hanging with the cranes from what I have ever seen.
Seems like the cranes feed in dry fields. That's how they hunt them here anyway.

TAFKAP

Every time I've hunted Sandhills, I've been in a cut corn field. The only ducks were high-fliers going from one water hole to another. Sandhills are considered waterfowl (they even have down feathers), and require a Federal duck stamp and a TN waterfowl license + migratory bird. 3" BB Steel is suitable to bring them down.

Latest posts