salt ?

riverman1

Is trophy rock better to use than just salt ? I started a salt lick feb.2012 on a stump with 50lbs. of just salt. I went back in july and put 50 more pounds on it. I went back yesterday and put 50 more pounds on it. The stump is gone and there is a hole in the ground about 4ft deep and 5ft wide. I've got 15 dollars in the salt lick and the trophy rock is about 20 dollars. This is a pic of the stump last year.
PRMS0002_zps40342fc3.jpg

stik

some places, yes and some places no. i get 300% more pics on the trophy rock while others have had the opposite results.

lpo1981

I do good with both! I get about an even number of pictures no matter which one i put out.. I usually will put a couple backs on loose stock salt in my mineral site and then a trophy rock on top.

Hunter 257W

Well, salt has no real health benefit for the deer while the Trophy Rock has a lot of the trace minerals. As far as just getting deer to come to the camera, salt is probably the best - certainly the best for the money spent. I rarely use salt though as I am always trying to improve the deer herd health. Of course there are no scientific studies to PROVE the benefit of adding trace minerals to a deer's diet much the same as there are no studies accepted by doctors to prove vitamins will help humans. I figure that it has to give some positive results though if a diet is optimized. Besides, compared to what I spend on food plots, trees and fertilizing native brows(weeds) a few bags of minerals a year is nothing as far as cost. :)

BSK

Salt is salt in my opinion. I use Trophy Rocks because they are easier to work with and last much longer.

Winchester

Loose Trace Mineral salt is by far the best for your dollar, atleast based on my experience with both.

Rdavis

Winchester said:
Loose Trace Mineral salt is by far the best for your dollar, atleast based on my experience with both.

Agree. I Mix 2 parts trace minerals, 1 part salt and 1 part Di Calcium Phosphate to make a great mineral lick. Deer tear it up. I use a bucket about the size of a Childs beach bucket to measure the parts. You can get 3 or 4 licks for about $50.

Bone Collector

Rdavis said:
Winchester said:

Agree. I Mix 2 parts trace minerals, 1 part salt and 1 part Di Calcium Phosphate to make a great mineral lick. Deer tear it up. I use a bucket about the size of a Childs beach bucket to measure the parts. You can get 3 or 4 licks for about $50.

The recipe i was given was 2 parts Di-cal, 1 part trace, and 1 part salt, but if this works, I will go with it. The Di-cal is the most expensive.

Rdavis

Bone Collector said:
Rdavis said:
Winchester said:

The recipe i was given was 2 parts Di-cal, 1 part trace, and 1 part salt, but if this works, I will go with it. The Di-cal is the most expensive.

It works well for me. Make sure to dig or tear the ground up. About a 4' diameter circle and 3" deep. Mix your mixture in the ground with the soil. You'll be surprised at the hole the deer will dig. Hope it works well for you

Latest posts