Saddle Hunting Platform Discussion

hillbillyfab

Alright I'm currently use the Predator XL and like it. I'm looking to add another platform to my setup. My 13 year old son will more than likely be hunting from a saddle come next season. I was going to pass the XL down to him when that time comes. I personally want to move to a lighter, platform even if that means going to a smaller version. The XL weighs 4 lbs according to their website. I don't believe I want one that goes on the top of my last stick. I like the stand alone platform. I looked at the Cruzr platform, but it's no lighter than my current setup. The regular Predator weighs 3 lbs. I just wanted to hear from others on what you're using, likes, dislikes etc.

UCStandSitter

I like the original Predator. Plenty large enough. I do like the angled ends of Chad's platform though. Was admiring it the other day. Honestly a pound either way isnt a huge deal to me. Rather be comfortable at hunting height. If that means an extra stick to climb easier or a slightly heavier platform, I am fine with it.

bjohnson

I've been using the original predator since it's been out, I have no issues with as it's been solid for me since day one. I believe for next season I'll try Cruzr's platform for the angled end, I bet that makes a difference in comfort for all day sits.

I use the original Predator platform. I have added a Ring of Steps that I secure to the tree about 4" above or below my platform depending on the tree. This gives me the ability to rest one leg at a time by bringing it up to the step. I place 1 of 3 steps at as close to 9, 12, and 3 o'clock from my Predator as I can get them. Along with the ability to shift weight this allows me to traverse around the tree better for off shots. I really like the setup.

Attachments

• 2DA41432-297F-40AE-A3CF-3727776AEDB3.jpeg
    2DA41432-297F-40AE-A3CF-3727776AEDB3.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 154

tree_ghost

I have a few different platform options depending on my anticipated setup. I have 4 squirrel steps on a boat strap that I use when going in to new territory and don't plan on staying more than 2-3 hours. I like the compactness of the ROS and the full mobility I have around the tree. My second option and the one I use more than any is my predator platform. Very comfortable for slightly longer sits. I especially like my platform if I know the intended travel of the deer and they can't get behind me. I find when on my predator I tend to move more than with any other method and has caused me to get busted by a deer coming in behind me blind. I always carry 2 extra squirel steps in my pack also in case I end up on a very large tree and need to gain a little mobility around it and I'll add those to my predator strap as needed. Last week I got my LWCG .5 hang on. I plan to use this for very long all day type sits with my saddle. It should give me plenty of options with the seat to be comfy all day. And I like that if I'm in a rut travel location where a deer can come from any direction I have the tree behind me to block my blind side if I'm sitting in it like a traditional lock on.

hillbillyfab

Just wanted to add a little follow up. I switched to the regular predator platform and have been pleased. It's a little easier to pack, or so it seems to me, and I don't mind the smaller size. I can say that I think a ring of steps or squirrel steps will be added to my gear selection after this season.