Saddle Hunters

Crowell392

Thanks, I'm from the Chattanooga area where is everyone else from, this is my 4th year as a saddle hunter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Rakkin6

Just asking a question or two due to my lack of knowledge on saddle hunting. Never really heard about it until recently. I am a tree stand hunter myself.

How comfortable are they?
Can you do all day hunts out of them from sunrise to sunset?
Are they both gun and bow friendly in concerns to shooting?
Do you have freedom of movement for different shot directions?
What are the major differences between a saddle and treestand?

Thanks for the answers guys, always open to new ideas.

ImThere

Rakkin6":23ul34p0 said:
Just asking a question or two due to my lack of knowledge on saddle hunting. Never really heard about it until recently. I am a tree stand hunter myself.

I find them very comfortable, everyone is different
very friendly to any weapon, you feel like a ninja with a bow and you can use you bridge and tree to steady your rifle
the amount of freedom is unparalleled by anything else in a tree
you are facing the tree and can freely move around the tree for stealth from a deer and positioning for the eventual shot

catman529

Rakkin6":233j647x said:

they are more comfortable than most lock ons. You can even put on a back band for back support, but I usually leave mine off. Most saddles are also adjustable to find the sweet spot where you are most comfortable.

Movement is 360 degrees around the tree, you can shoot anywhere. You may want to practice drawing a bow from different angles since you're leaning away from the tree instead of standing in a treestand.

For gun hunting, I have found the saddle to be perfect, because I can use the tree trunk as a rest. Made my longest kill shot on a doe last year at 180 yards.

The major differences between a saddle and treestand are weight, packability, concealment, and mobility....

A saddle setup with sticks will weigh a lot less than a lockon or climber. You can fit everything in a backpack, with the sticks strapped on the outside. The higher end saddles you can wear into the woods, the Mantis only weighs 15 ounces so you'll forget you're wearing it.

Also you blend in a lot better for two reasons. One, your silhouette resembles a tree limb instead of a person sitting in a chair. Also, you can hide behind the tree trunk from an approaching deer.

An example of blending in... On Saturday, I had 3 deer catch my wind somewhere down the hill, they blew several dozen times and then went quiet. 10 minutes later, here they come up the hill, straight at me. I'm in a skinny tree that I can't hide behind, just hanging off the side of it. The lead doe was looking almost straight up at me, sniffing the air, trying to find me. All 3 deer ended up right under my tree and started browsing, and I shot the doe... they all smelled me, but never saw me, even in a crooked skinny ash tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dkizer18

Rakkin6":2wukuy3a said:

This is my first year from a saddle and I have 6 sits in it so far this year averaging about 4 hours or so a sit so I will give you my feedback so far. I have hunted out of a Summit climber for the last 20 years so that is all I really have to compare too but I will try to do so.

As far as hunting all day out of a saddle I think it could be done but I am not %100 sure yet. It took me up until my last sit this past weekend to get my saddle set up perfect for me. It was night and day difference from my first few sits and they were not that bad but my feet would hurt after a few hours and I would get a little hip pinch on those hunts. My last sit was 4 and a half hours straight leaning without sitting at all in total comfort no hip pinch or feet hurting.
I haven't gun hunted out of mine yet but have shot my bow in every direction imaginable and in my opinion it is superior to a summit in the fact you can shoot 360 very easily and comfortably. I couldn't imagine a shot that I can't make with a gun either. (I think shooting a bow easily is the biggest misconception from tree stand hunters, and understandibly so because I thought the same way until I played with the Tethrd Mantis at a show).
The freedom of movement is my favorite part so far from a saddle. It is so easy to slightly swing around a tree and look a completely different direction if you want to.
The major differences to me are trade offs. I think the Summit is more comfortable for an all day sit, not by a lot but I still think it is. I have never had any complaints out of my climbers as far as comfort or ease of use. I think I can set up quieter in my saddle and I am using Hawk Helium sticks to get up the tree. Also the saddle is lighter. And the biggest difference for me is I can set up in so many different trees that I could not get in in my climber. I can leave limbs attached and don't have to saw a perfect telephone pole to climb them so I can get a lot more cover in the tree. I have nothing against a climber and will probably continue using my summit for the areas that I have hunted in the past and know that they have good climbing trees, but right now I am in love with my saddle and feel it has opened some new doors for me as a hunter.

bjohnson

Another first season saddle hunter here. Roughly 20 years of hunting out of climbers and ladderstands, I hunted with a mobile hang-on set up last year.

After 7 hunts in my Mantis saddle here are my takeaways:

- Safety first: You cannot fall out of the saddle when you are strapped in. Unless you're an idiot and do not use the saddle properly. You are always tied to the tree.

-Comfort: It will take a few hunts after you have adjusted the saddle to you for your body to become accustomed to the saddle, what is commonly referred to as getting into saddle shape. Most of my sits have been right at 4 hours and no discomfort. Having a platform for your feet is highly recommended as you can shift your feet to relieve pressure. Knee pads help also so you can sit in a natural position with your knees against the tree if you choose not to lean the entire hunt. Is it as comfortable as a Summit? No, but with the backband I believe all day sits are possible. Ask me in November.

Versatility: With a climber/hang-on, you are looking for the perfect tree to hunt, less so with a hang-on but with a saddle your options are almost limitless. With a saddle, you look for the perfect spot, not the perfect tree. As stated earlier, you can move around the tree for shot opportunities and you are concealed behind the tree vs sitting in front of the tree.

bigasports

Let me say I'm very pro saddle. I've been at it for 4-5 years now. I have tried many different saddles on the market and off market. I have liked some and hated others. Its important for you to find the right one for you. Meaning what I like may fit or feel different for you. Currently I am using a Tethrd saddle. It's been my favorite by far. I can easily do all day sits. Having the back band really is nice for those long days. The saddle itself comes in at just under a pound. I wear it in like its not even there. Other than the saddle, the most important thing for me is my platform. Again, I've tried so many different kinds but by far my favorite it the Tethrd predator platform. It is super light and roomy. It will attach or fit in most hunting packs that I own. As mentioned saddle shape is a real thing. You have to put the time in and get used to your body, muscles etc getting used to new movements and sitting/leaning positions. It took me about 2 weeks when I first started saddle hunting a few years back. Now every season it takes me 3-4 hunts. I doubt I will ever lug a actual tree stand to hunt out of in the woods again.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Dkizer18

bigasports":2cm11hau said:
Let me say I'm very pro saddle. I've been at it for 4-5 years now. I have tried many different saddle on the market and off market. I have liked some and hated others. Its important for you to find the right one for you. Meaning what I like may fit or feel different for you. Currently I am using a Tethrd saddle. It's been my favorite by far. I can easily do all day sits. Having the back band really is nice for those long days. The saddle itself comes in at just under a pound. I wear it in like its not even there. Other than the saddle, the most important thing for me is my platform. Again, I've tried so many different kinds but by far my favorite it the Tethrd predator platform. It is super light and roomy. It will attach or fit in most hunting packs that I own. As mentioned saddle shape is a real things. You have to put the time in and get used to your body, muscles etc getting used to new movements and sitting/leaning positions. It took me about 2 weeks when I first started saddle hunting a few years back. Now every season it takes me 3-4 hunts. I doubt I will ever lug a actual tree stand to hunt out of in the woods again.
Agreed

fairchaser

I appreciate the dedication that you guys have. I'd like to hear from anybody that tried it for awhile and then just gave up and went back to other traditional tree stands. It seems like the saddle hunting is more of an evolutionary process of trial and error. It may take a season or two to get a system perfected if ever. But, once you find the right mix it's transforming.

JCDEERMAN

fairchaser":1qjbryoa said:
I appreciate the dedication that you guys have. I'd like to hear from anybody that tried it for awhile and then just gave up and went back to other traditional tree stands. It seems like the saddle hunting is more of an evolutionary process of trial and error. It may take a season or two to get a system perfected if ever. But, once you find the right mix it's transforming.
I'm in the same boat, fairchaser, and would love to hear from others in this scenario.

ImThere

JCDEERMAN":1k0hlt40 said:
fairchaser":1k0hlt40 said:
I'm in the same boat, fairchaser, and would love to hear from others in this scenario.
I think saddle hunting is kind of more of a type of hunting if your a mobile hunter you will love a saddle.
I also hear a lot of positives from guys how have had back issues love the saddle.
If you hunt from a mobile lock on set up now switching is super easy.
i think most guys who are always tinkering with there set up do it because they want to not out of a necessity to get more comfortable.

bjohnson

fairchaser":1m6dl144 said:

So far the biggest method I want to change is climbing method. I have Hawk Helium sticks that I have rope-modded. It's not that I dont like the sticks, they are great. I want something that is more packable. I think I would rather run 4 LWCG short sticks than my 3 standard length Heliums. Sure there are Wild Edge Steps but I would rather only attach 4 sticks than 5 or 6 Steps. I also use aiders. As stated, it is trial and error of finding the set-up each person prefers and trying to improve on mobility, weight, speed of set-up, etc.

J_W

fairchaser":18rwojfj said:
But, once you find the right mix it's transforming.

I don't disagree entirely, but for me it was transforming from the first time I put one on. I sold my LW hang on and a couple Summit climbers real quick.
The only limitation to me is in your climbing method, and that is the same for a guy running a hang on. I still prefer going up the tree in a climber vs any sticks or steps I've tried, but the ability to get in any tree and quietly through thick brush on your way in is well worth the fiddle factor and I find myself getting more proficient each climb.
Like ImThere said above, if you're a mobile hunter you will love a saddle.

J_W

bjohnson":wqyu0p17 said:
So far the biggest method I want to change is climbing method. I have Hawk Helium sticks that I have rope-modded. It's not that I dont like the sticks, they are great. I want something that is more packable. I think I would rather run 4 LWCG short sticks than my 3 standard length Heliums.

From what I've read in other places, I would steer way clear of the LWCG.
If you want the best sticks ready to hunt without any mods, I would go Beast sticks by a mile.
Why not cut down the Heliums, though?

tree_ghost

I have found that if the place your hunting allows it that climbing spurs are by far my favorite method to get to hunting height. They are really compact and for in the backpack. For me the biggest selling point of saddle hunting is being able to slip in and out of thickets without a cumbersome tree stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bjohnson

J_W":3fyxgf7o said:
From what I've read in other places, I would steer way clear of the LWCG.
If you want the best sticks ready to hunt without any mods, I would go Beast sticks by a mile.
Why not cut down the Heliums, though?

I'd rather not cut down my heliums. The only negatives I've heard on LWCG is the finish from the water jets. I've got short legs, the steps on Dan's sticks seem too far apart for me lol.

Latest posts