Sad situation in Macon county

shane37110

Two people drown, sounds like the man who was drowning took the girl trying to save him down too.
A drowning person is the most panicked and irrational person you will encounter in a rescue situation. They will often grab ahold of whoever is trying to help them and thus prevent the would be rescuer from being able to swim.
Be careful on and in the water folks. Carrying life jackets isn't just for boats. One could have made a lot of difference here. Consider taking a life saving course from the red cross.
Prayers for both families here.
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/man-teen-drown-in-macon-county-swimming-hole

BamaProud

Supporter
Two people drown, sounds like the man who was drowning took the girl trying to save him down too.
A drowning person is the most panicked and irrational person you will encounter in a rescue situation. They will often grab ahold of whoever is trying to help them and thus prevent the would be rescuer from being able to swim.
Be careful on and in the water folks. Carrying life jackets isn't just for boats. One could have made a lot of difference here. Consider taking a life saving course from the red cross.
Prayers for both families here.
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/man-teen-drown-in-macon-county-swimming-hole

You have to treat a person drowning like they are attacking you. I took a scuba-dive safety/rescue class about 20 years ago and they taught the safest way to save a drowning victim by grabbing them by the hair and dragging them to safety.

DoubleRidge

Growing up I remember being warned about the danger of being pulled under during a drowning rescue attempt....I also remember the suggestion that if you have pants on take them off and hold one leg of pants and when you get close to the victim toss them the other leg and tow them in to bank.... staying out of arms reach at all times.....so sad for the families.....prayers sent.

Wiley

You have to treat a person drowning like they are attacking you. I took a scuba-dive safety/rescue class about 20 years ago and they taught the safest way to save a drowning victim by grabbing them by the hair and dragging them to safety.
I'm also a rescue diver and we were taught to never let the person in trouble to get ahold of you. Sadly, sometimes that means letting them drown in order to save your own life.

ImThere

When I was young they said to basically choke hold the drowning victims and they would grab you arm and stop fighting it was about the easiest way to get them to stop fighting

Omega

Sad, I applaud her, or anyone, from trying to help, but you have to know your limitations. Saving a drowning victim is dangerous for the rescuer, the victim is most probably panicking by the time anyone gets to them and will grab on to anything trying to save themselves. We were taught to put an arm under theirs and their neck to swim them to shore, and also how to 'break' away from a drowning person which has a hold of you, basically go under water, they don't want to be underwater. The instructor would purposely try to drown you, until you made the correct move.

MUP

Supporter
So sad for both families, but for the young teen girl especially. My daughter is 17 and has taken life guard training and worked as a lifeguard at the local pool, I could see her being that young girl trying to help. Breaks my heart.

TRIGGER

I'm also a rescue diver and we were taught to never let the person in trouble to get ahold of you. Sadly, sometimes that means letting them drown in order to save your own life.
This is such a sad situation. Out of the terrible situation I learned something here. Thanks guys I did not know this.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Pray Jesus Christ GIF