S&W Model 57

Whitetaillane8

I picked up a S&W model 57 yesterday. It is a no dash 6" nickel. This is the second one I have found in the last 6 months, both of them in excellent condition. I really like older Smiths.

Attachments

• 5E7EA926-9DFD-431D-97E4-D8E212024465.jpeg
    5E7EA926-9DFD-431D-97E4-D8E212024465.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 63

PillsburyDoughboy

Not much love for the 41 Mag huh?

Probably one of the more pleasant Magnums to shoot and honestly probably more practical for most people in most situations because the recoil is more manageable.

Totally overshadowed in its day by Dirty Harry and the 44MAG. Most everyone laughed and scoffed at you if you had one and said you did not have a man's gun.

Get as many as you can afford . They are classic. Hopefully you are finding ammo ??

DaveTN

Smith & Wesson revolvers are my favorite firearms. I've owned many of them. I was a cop in the days when cops still carried them (decades ago). I don't carry them anymore, other than a j-frame occasionally, but they are my favorite range toys by far.

For you younger guys that have never tried them, give them a try. You won't want to carry them, but they are a blast at the range. My K and L frames are more accurate than any semi-auto I own.

I was never big on the N-frames because they were too bulky for duty carry, but that is a great find.

Specializedjon

Smith & Wesson revolvers are my favorite firearms. I've owned many of them. I was a cop in the days when cops still carried them (decades ago). I don't carry them anymore, other than a j-frame occasionally, but they are my favorite range toys by far.

For you younger guys that have never tried them, give them a try. You won't want to carry them, but they are a blast at the range. My K and L frames are more accurate than any semi-auto I own.

I was never big on the N-frames because they were too bulky for duty carry, but that is a great find.
Below is an actual gun safety training video of Dave back in the day 😂

Andy Griffith Vintage GIF

348Winchester

God's gun is an N frame Smith.

At the tender age of 13 years I worked all spring, summer, and fall to buy an 8 3/8 nickel model 57. I still have it after 40 more years have passed.

At the age of 18 I took a job with a Knoxville newspaper filling up racks. My route was through the ghetto after midnight. One evening while sitting in the truck counting papers for the rack outside the Westhaven Restaurant some disreputable characters pulled alongside of me and demanded the money they believed I was removing from the racks. I explained that I had no money but was only putting papers in the racks. One of them said "We gotsa 9 that says you gots da money." I cooly replied while raising and cocking the big Smith, Well I have a 41 magnum that says I don't." One of their crew Exclaimed in a high pitched voice "Gott-damn look at that chrome gun!" They just eased out of there in reverse. I'm sure the dome light in the cab of my truck reflecting off that brilliant nickel finish made the gun look enormous.

Now my carry gun is a model 57 4 inch Mountain Gun. It's accurate, powerful, and points like your finger. Those big wooden stocks just fit my hand perfectly.

Tenntrapper

Not much love for the 41 Mag huh?

Probably one of the more pleasant Magnums to shoot and honestly probably more practical for most people in most situations because the recoil is more manageable.

Totally overshadowed in its day by Dirty Harry and the 44MAG. Most everyone laughed and scoffed at you if you had one and said you did not have a man's gun.

Get as many as you can afford . They are classic. Hopefully you are finding ammo ??
....and most aren't aware...41 mag is.... .410" diameter, and 44 mag is really .429"....not that much difference.
I also read a while back.... during the filming of the first Dirty Harry movie, they didn't actually have a model 29 to use....so they filmed using a model 57.

Latest posts