Rut - Second Rut

mowen

I heard someone mentioning at the store, "can't wait for the second rut". I am new, so what does Rut and Second Rut mean? sorry new to hunting and I freaking love it, but way behind on this stuff. any help will be appreciated. I hunt Hardeman Co. if that makes a difference.

Beaver86

Rut is when the majority of does come into estrus and are receptive to bucks. The second rut is when the does that didn't get bred the first time or the doe fawns that reach roughly 70 lbs come into estrus and are again ready for a little lovin.

mowen

Thanks! does it matter whether you hunt food plots or do I need to be deeper in the woods. I have two stands set up. Still looking for my first BUCK...

duckduck84

mowen":dvxo9ikf said:
Thanks! does it matter whether you hunt food plots or do I need to be deeper in the woods. I have two stands set up. Still looking for my first BUCK...
What's your land like? I hunt Hardeman as well and I have seen deer in the woods and fields this year. What kind of food plot or food source do you have to hunt over?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

mowen

I have seen lot's of Doe and a few small Bucks. only one that I could shoot, he was within 45 feet from me but behind my right shoulder and when I swung around to the other side I hit the damn tree and had my scope on 7 so I couldn't get him in my scope because I am an idiot.. umm, not sure how to explain the land and what you mean. I do hunt over winter wheat food plot, but was late getting it rolling so I threw 50lbs of ryegrass to help fill it in. the other stand is overlooking a hill and small openings, but never have hunted there because I have seen something everyday except Saturday and Sunday. I keep waiting on a Buck before I start shooting deer. hope that helps and sorry so long.

duckduck84

mowen":65i04e72 said:
I have seen lot's of Doe and a few small Bucks. only one that I could shoot, he was within 45 feet from me but behind my right shoulder and when I swung around to the other side I hit the ***** tree and had my scope on 7 so I couldn't get him in my scope because I am an idiot.. umm, not sure how to explain the land and what you mean. I do hunt over winter wheat food plot, but was late getting it rolling so I threw 50lbs of ryegrass to help fill it in. the other stand is overlooking a hill and small openings, but never have hunted there because I have seen something everyday except Saturday and Sunday. I keep waiting on a Buck before I start shooting deer. hope that helps and sorry so long.
Was trying to figure out if you had more field edges or actual woods to hunt. Others will be more help than I am, but general wisdom is get in the woods and find buck sign (scrapes and rubs) and set up on that. Hunt the wind, keep yourself as scent free as possible, and try to catch one headed to food or bed.

Mike Belt

Not all does enter estrus at the same time nor do they all get bred when they do. So-o-o if they don't every 28 days they re-enter estrus and again in another 28 days after that if they aren't bred the second time around.

After the initial rut when most does are bred the bucks will still cruise looking for any doe that might be in heat. They may not be as active as they were the first time around but they're still in the ballgame. This may last until after season closes but it wains pretty quick. You might find them anywhere.

cbhunter

General rule of thumb during the rut is find the does and the bucks will follow. It isn't fail proof but the best advice anyone can give in my opinion. Most, if not all, bucks are in search of the doe(s) that are in heat.

Another good piece of advice during the rut is to set up where you can cover (see) ALOT of ground. That don't necessarily mean only hunt open fields but if you hunt woods, try to set up where you can see as much as possible because when a chase is on, they can get out of sight as quickly as they appear.

Good luck and hang in there!

mowen

Thanks for the advice. Hunting tomorrow morning with a buddy and gonna try something different but by Saturday or mid next week I should have a full food plot which does come to and hopefully the Bucks follow. Thanks guys.

UTGrad

I've seen some of the best chasing in mid December. When one doe in an area comes in estrous later in the season I've seen some crazy stuff.

It's kinda like the bar at closing time. Most gals have settled on who they are going home with by 12:00-1:00 AM. By 2:00 AM if there is a couple gals still around it can get interesting when the guys that are left put on those thick beer goggles and make a last ditch attempt. Hope that was a good visual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smo

UTGrad":1991ub16 said:
I've seen some of the best chasing in mid December. When one doe in an area comes in estrous later in the season I've seen some crazy stuff.

It's kinda like the bar at closing time. Most gals have settled on who they are going home with by 12:00-1:00 AM. By 2:00 AM if there is a couple gals still around it can get interesting when the guys that are left put on those thick beer goggles and make a last ditch attempt. Hope that was a good visual.

That brought back some "Coyote Ugly" memories for me......

duckduck84

UTGrad":1vjo3d3s said:

That's a pretty great comparison lol

Latest posts