Rut report

Easy3actual

Think the primary rut in this part of West Tennessee is for the most part over. Should start seeing secondary rut action here towards the start of the second week of December.
If you don't mind saying…what part of West TN are you talking about? I'm hunting Shelby today. I saw two spikes still together and a doe group of 5 still together.

backyardtndeer

If you don't mind saying…what part of West TN are you talking about? I'm hunting Shelby today. I saw two spikes still together and a doe group of 5 still together.
About 30 minutes north of Jackson.

Fawns here started being seen temporarily orphaned back around the end of the first week of November. Watched a couple young bucks this morning, while also watching does with their fawns. Does here and their fawns have grouped back together.

Only somewhat rut like activity I saw this morning was a doe fawn being harassed by a button buck. Momma doe reared up and kicked the button a couple times and he went on his way.

dg7080

Seems to be winding down around here in north Sumner.. Right on time, maybe a little bit earlier than usual.. Started seeing large groups of does last week and several large doe groups the past few hunts. Just the occasional spike or scrubby buck wandering around. The only older buck (probably 3.5) I've seen in almost a week and a half had both antlers busted off and had a slight limp, so I think he probably got bumped by a vehicle. Thinking about going out this afternoon for the last hour. Going to star to wind it down myself..

RobDooley

Friday after Thanksgiving I seen decent buck chasing doe in field in Hickman County. Yesterday, Monday morning I harvested a good nine pointer (picture forthcoming) that was in lock down with doe.

UTGrad

This is my week off to hunt and the chasing/tending I saw was last week in Marshall County. Yesterday was slow so my observations are a lot of breeding has already happened. With that said we know based off the age of fawns in the summer a lot of breeding happens in December so the rut is certainly a marathon vs a 1-2 week event.

Bone Collector

I'm sure I could rival you for that title. I had 3 shells in my gun and missed all 3 shots on the biggest public land buck I've ever seen this last Sunday. I remember loading my gun up about to put a few more shells in and thought, "If I need more than 3 shots, I don't deserve this deer." Ouch.
This is why I always load to capacity and have more on my butt stock bandolier. You never know what could happen. I also put a box of cartridges in my back pack. May not be full, but it will at least have a few extra.

slabhead

Well for us, hunting land in Lewis and Hickman County, chasing has pretty much been nonexistent. We've hunted harder this year than in the last few and have only seen a couple chases and they were all by small bucks. We did end up killing 2 nice bucks but they were both cruising. Last year on several occasions I saw 7-8 different bucks chasing in one morning. Our overall sightings have been much lower this year as well.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Well for us, hunting land in Lewis and Hickman County, chasing has pretty much been nonexistent. We've hunted harder this year than in the last few and have only seen a couple chases and they were all by small bucks. We did end up killing 2 nice bucks but they were both cruising. Last year on several occasions I saw 7-8 different bucks chasing in one morning. Our overall sightings have been much lower this year as well.
Same for me in Hickman. I'm not even seeing any deer while driving from Coble to Hohenwald each day.

Bone Collector

Typical trickle rut here in Rutherford. I have a group of 4 does (I think, one may be a BB) that disappeared in early Nov. They came back around 2nd weekend of ML and have been together every time I see them. Have had another small doe with two fawns show up. Also on that weekend my resident 2 year old 7 pt. was with a doe in the food plot running off spikes and 3 pointers to keep her with him. they went back to the property behind me and he came back a couple of days later ;)

However starting the opening weekend of Gun random bucks showed up and pics showed them standing within close proximity of does. Those bucks continued to show up until around Thanksgiving and then disappeared again. I got a daytime pic of the bigger 9 pt on 11/22. He disappeared after that appearance. He was alone though. Saw a smaller buck with a doe on 11/24.

like I said, these does are not on the same cycle, so it just kinda trickles in. I generally see a chase or two in Nov. then some more in Dec. Then I see absolute giants that I have never seen before in January with fawns...