rut report

Todd Bell

im hunting Montgomery county, five new scrapes on the logging roads this afternoon and some new rubs from the last three days. its quickly approaching. saw 9 deer tonight. no bucks.

Super8

No acorns but Scrapes are fresh and action is picking up daily
Next 5 days Im in the woods hopefully get to see some daytime activity

JChunts

BHC said:
I Wayne Co. It appears scrapes are popping up, mostly young buck activity. My guess is scraping activity will bust wide open in the next 5-10 days... Chasing activity usually runs from gun opener- about Dec 15...

What part of Wayne County are you in? I hunt just above Waynesboro. I'll be up this weekend to hunt and check cams.

BuckMaster1988

saw a monster 8point following 3 does on the side of the road yesterday...can't wait to get in the stand Saturday!!

Super8

It appears to be full speed ahead Scottsville KY, better slow down Deer bolting across highways like mad.
I have seen 4 GOOD different Bucks from 1:30- dark running doe's

BSK

Super8 said:
It appears to be full speed ahead Scottsville KY, better slow down Deer bolting across highways like mad.
I have seen 4 GOOD different Bucks from 1:30- dark running doe's

Right on time. I always thought it peaked around the 8th through the 12th in that area.

woodchuckc

BSK said:
Several deer dead on I-40 between Nashville and Dickson.

I know you have a client up around Primm Springs, and thought you might be interested. Monday evening on my way home from work, no road kill on Hwy 100 between Little Lot Road and Primm Springs Road, but Tuesday morning when I went by at 6:30, there were 4 separate fawns run over in that ~2 mile stretch. I'm guessing the does are running their fawns off as they are getting ready for estrous and by themselves they are too naive to stay out of the road.

Heck, coming into Nashville this morning on I-40 at Old Hickory Boulevard on the west side of town there was a big bodied cowhorn spike standing in the grass triangle of the exit ramp, maybe 10' off the right shoulder of the interstate just watching the cars and trucks zip by! I doubt that many drivers even saw him standing there, as I didn't see anyone hit their brakes or try to move over from that right hand lane.

BSK

woodchuckc,

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what's going on in the Primm Springs area. My clients are seeing huge surges in new bucks, but I can't tell if it is the real rut or the false rut. I've been told many times the peak of breeding in the Primm Springs area is somewhere from the 15th to 25th of November, but I sure am seeing a HUGE amount of buck range-shifting in the area. This range-shifting started around Oct. 20 and ran through about Oct. 26, which to me sounds more like the false rut.

My wife drives around Percy and Edwin Warner parks every day. She gives me a "deer sightings" report when she gets home from work. Surprisingly, she hasn't seen any chasing yet. Normally, in the 2nd week of November, she's having to regularly slow down to avoid hitting buck-doe chases through that area.

Latest posts