Rules on airgun with silencer

cashville

Hi Everyone,
Does anyone have a take on using airguns with silencers in TN?
Do we need any permit for airgun silencers?
anyone using these?

Cheers
Sam

Rollo

Technically it's called a "moderator" on an airgun. And because and airgun is not classified as a "firearm" it is legal to use a "moderator" on an airgun as long as it is not designed to be used on a firearm. Now, from what I understand, say if you have a "silencer" designed for a firearm and use it on an airgun, you still must hold a federal tax stamp to possess and use the silencer.

Sounds clear as mud to me... I'll try and find the article that explains the lingo but it's out there on the net somewhere

Omega

It is legal to use a silencer for hunting in TN, so as long as the silencer is legally owned then it's no problem. As stated, silencers on pellet rifles, or any non firearm are legal, but, since a silencer is a regulated item, it has to be nearly impossible to use on a firearm to stay legal. I just picked up a Benjamin Titan .22 pellet rifle with a silencer from a member here, it is much quieter than the springer it replaced, which means I can reduce the amount of squirrels around here without bothering the neighbors.

Kirk

The way I understand it is legal for an air rifle. I had a guy in California build mine for my Sam Yang .50 Cal last year. They are similar to a firearm suppressor but not as beefy. Since the pellet is traveling subsonic and there is no gun powder pop all you are really dampening is the PCP air release and any internal action noise. It got the deciblels down under 85. Un-moderated the decibels were up over 115.
Still not silent by any means but low enough not to piss off the neighbors.

I bought a Texan SS .45 cal this year with the built in moderator and it is even quieter around 82 decibels.

LY

I put one on a Benjamin Discovery that I was able to p/u new real cheap years ago. Without the 'moderator' it sounded like shooting .22 Shorts and echoed down through the valley, with the 'moderator' it's as quite a kids BB gun let alone a high powered pellet gun.

"Moderators' and/or suppressors on air guns are legal with no restrictions except probably for those locations that have restrictions on air guns to begin with. I got mine from TKO Airguns out of Omaha, NE, I ordered it online and it came in the mail like anything else.

Latest posts