Rule of thumb

Spurhunter

If you are having a fish fry with hushpuppies, fries and cole slaw, how many pounds of fish fillets do you plan to cook per person? I think I usually thaw out 1/2 a pound per person but I can't remember for sure.

Spurhunter

The "fillets per person" doesn't work for me, because I keep 10 inchers at some places I fish and other places 14 and 15 inchers are pretty common. So, there's a huge difference in fillet size. I weigh all my fillets before I freeze them, and put 1 pound of meat per bag. That makes it pretty easy to know what you are thawing out, but I couldn't remember if it was 1 pound per person or 1/2 pound. I cooked 1/2 pound of fillets per person, and it was perfect. I'll remember that going forward. Thanks for the replies.

WTM

cool ill try weighing them at halfnpund and see how it comes out next time. the big crappie filets i cut in half because i can never cook them to where they dont fall apart for some reason. im thinking i may start cutting them in 2" strips.

Spurhunter

cool ill try weighing them at halfnpund and see how it comes out next time. the big crappie filets i cut in half because i can never cook them to where they dont fall apart for some reason. im thinking i may start cutting them in 2" strips.
I cut mine in half as well. I prefer smaller pieces with plenty breading anyway.

blueball

The "fillets per person" doesn't work for me, because I keep 10 inchers at some places I fish and other places 14 and 15 inchers are pretty common. So, there's a huge difference in fillet size. I weigh all my fillets before I freeze them, and put 1 pound of meat per bag. That makes it pretty easy to know what you are thawing out, but I couldn't remember if it was 1 pound per person or 1/2 pound. I cooked 1/2 pound of fillets per person, and it was perfect. I'll remember that going forward. Thanks for the replies.
It will work,on bigger fish 7-9,kinda look at the bag size when putting them in.Thats what i do anyways,im to lazy to weigh them,lol

hgcox

one qt. freezer bag full equals 2lbs of fillets and if your feeding all the trimmings youll have fish left over after feeding 4 adults. so 1/4lb each person

Latest posts