Food Plots Roundup question

NChunt1

I've got my plot areas bush hogged this weekend, How long after cutting should I wait to burn down the fields with Roundup to plant ? I will be doing no till so no disking or anything. Just looking to get them brown and crispy. How long should I wait and how much round up per acre would you use for a good burn down ?

skipperbrown

Directions say to spray it before cutting. However, I don't like to do that either. You should wait for the new growth to start and then spray it. I'm cheap. I use 1 pt to 5 gallons water for general field use for 40% glyphosate. This mixture is not quick to kill and will take about 2 weeks to turn everything brown. A rain a few days after application seems to speed things up.

megalomaniac

If you are sure you got even coverage over the field when you spray, spray 7 to 10d after bushhogging (as soon as new growth appears). You can drill new seed a couple hours after spraying.

The advantage of waiting a couple weeks after spraying is to see the spots you missed with initial spraying and hit those again right before you drill.