Rotary wet tumbler question.

DaveB

I only SS tumble brass that has been decapped and FL sized. This means there is lube present and you need something that effectively removes the lube.

I use some kind of purple stuff, picture coming. Brass in sealable plastic container (I use a small drywall bucket). Hot water just enough to cover brass purple cleaner(dawn platinum also works) lid on SHAKE. let set15 minutes. SHAKE. Dump water.

Brass into tumbler then SS pins then a half teaspoon of dawn platinum. fill with water just short of capacity. tumble for about 2 hours. Mine all come out looking like brand new and quality issues (cracks dents) are very obvious. rinse rinse rinse.

I lay the brass flat on a towel in the sunlight. Neighbors have complained about the glare.

When dry (not long) I take them inside and place mouth up in my plastic ammo boxes leave lids open set on floor where sunlight hits.

Next day or later I will prime every piece and place in box primer up.

Omega

If you haven't yet, get some stainless steel pins, the insides of the cases need them. I use dawn and citric acid, (lemishine is one) and a squirt of car wax to help them retain the shine, but it is not necessary.
Here is the difference; pile on the left no pins, one on the right with pins. The cases in the middle are opposite, the one on the right is with pins, other two without.
HiUMpSG.jpg

Omega

Sweet, tumbler comes with ss pins (5lbs). I have about 100lbs of 223 and 9mm/40 to clean, some is very stained.
I deprime (Lee universal) before I clean, that way the primer pocket gets done, if absolutely crudy I will rinse them a bit before I tumble. I normally do only an hour or so, and they come out great. If it didn't come with one, you may look into a magnet for the pins, and a media separator. I got mine from Midsouth, cheaper at the time, but they are available elsewhere too.

Media Release Magnet
122-909271.jpg

Rotary Pro Media Separator
038-39555.jpg

KPH

I like dawn and no more that a 1/4 teaspoon of lemi-shine more is not good. Plus a magnet is your best friend when using stainless pins.

DaveB

Yeah, Harbor freight has a great deal on magnets every other month or so. An essential tool for SS tumbling.

The pins were captured in north Ohio some years back and are trying to escape and return to their birthplace.

To reduce the escape attempts rinse very well with a hose and don't try to imitate Niagara.

I have intentionally picked up 400 range brass in 223, nearly all on the very high side of filthy. Decapped and SS tumbled with dawn platinum for 3 hours.

Serious, looked like they just got stamped. Those with defects minor and major were easy to spot and toss.

fairchaser

In addition to the above suggestions, you will want to trim, chamfer and debur your cases each time you tumble using the steel pins. The case mouth will get peaned. The trimming will true them back to new condition. Also I don't tumble more than 20 minutes and then another 20 minutes in a food dehydrator to dry. Deprime before you tumble so the primer pocket gets cleaned too.

DaveB

Yep, never noticed this until Fairchaser and Tim C pointed it out. The very edge of the mouth will need chamfering. Federal Ammo brass seems to be more resistant.

Omega

Harbor freight mAGNETS

This is the only one I would use, but I think it would be a bit wieldy. You need some kind of release mechanism, or it will be a PITA to remove the pins from the magnet. You may be able to modify this a bit by shortening it, shouldn't be too hard, but I would just get the one made for it.
image_15148.jpg

DaveB

Ones I drop/spill are always on the floor so the magnet from Frankford has me bending over and chasing glints of steel. With the one you chose, same as what I am getting next week, I get to stand up.

Most important is strength of magnet, ability to release the pins, and convenience for the user.

Omega

Yep, never noticed this until Fairchaser and Tim C pointed it out. The very edge of the mouth will need chamfering. Federal Ammo brass seems to be more resistant.
This is from my 300 Blackout cases, after they had been chamfered and deburred. I did not do them again though, and so far have not given me any issues. These cases were fully processed due to them being just converted from 5.56, so to be fair, it is possible some of this was left over from that process, and removing the primer crimp. Normally I do not size my fired cases until after I tumble them, and the case mouths haven't given me any issues with this. I am about to do some 6.5 CM once fired, I will have to keep an eye to see if they have any shavings show up in the bucket.
P5ZyGnV.jpg

Omega

Ones I drop/spill are always on the floor so the magnet from Frankford has me bending over and chasing glints of steel. With the one you chose, same as what I am getting next week, I get to stand up.

Most important is strength of magnet, ability to release the pins, and convenience for the user.
Yea, it would definitely be good for that, I have had two, one I burned up using it to remove nails and other metal from my burn barrel, seems I didn't let the ashes cool down enough :oops:. But the magnet is decently strong, and the release mechanism works good for the most part. It is cheaply made, but for this use it should last quite a while. I minimise the pin runaways by using the media separator, all the pins end up in the bucket, then use the magnet (after I empty most of the water) to transfer back into the tumbler (if I am doing another load), or onto a towel to dry off. I do the transfer over a towel, that way the pins don't bounce, I chased a few before doing that.

DaveB

I have become much more careful with the pins after chasing them all over the garage and driveway. Moved to the back patio and let the neighbors wonder what the noise is.

Latest posts