Rolled my first tss UPDATED, AGAIN.......

TN Larry

I'm now ready to send some tss down range. I ordered tss shot and the components for Hal's Big 20xl last year at the end of turkey season but just now putting them together. Thanks to Andy S.for all the answered questions! It's not too bad to do. Gonna start with a Carlson's 575 choke in both my sons and my 870 youth and go from there. My goal is that this keeps the 12 in the safe for years to come. I packed the 20 last yr with heavyweights before my back went out and ended my season but really enjoyed the light weight of the 20.

Homemade vise for holding while crimping. It needs a little tape to hold a little tighter but worked well.

First official shell.

Made 5 to start patterning. I ran out of time but also didn't wanna make a bunch and realize I did something wrong after shooting. These will be a good start.

If you've thought about taking the plunge, I say do it as it's not hard. Better hurry as components will start getting hard to procure the closer to turkey season we get.

TN Larry

Re: Rolled my first tss UPDATED

Finally got around to shooting one today through my son's 870 youth and Carlson's 575. The pattern looks good but not as good of a count as I had hoped but still satisfied. It's still a dead turkey but has a hole or two in the pattern. I have a couple of more chokes that I may try just to see if there is any difference. I'm definitely not complaining.

870 Youth
575 Carlson's
163 - 10"
247 - 20"
60 degrees

Andy S.

TN Larry":zyo5ql7z said:
....... but not as good of a count as I had hoped ......
Totally understand with only 70% pellet retention (410/588) inside the 20" circle. Like you said, it will kill a turkey, but I know you can eventually find a "more efficient" choke to increase the number of pellets captured inside the 20".

What is your barrel length?

TN Larry

Andy S.":13ymy125 said:
TN Larry":13ymy125 said:
....... but not as good of a count as I had hoped ......
Totally understand with only 70% pellet retention (410/588) inside the 20" circle. Like you said, it will kill a turkey, but I know you can eventually find a "more efficient" choke to increase the number of pellets captured inside the 20".

What is your barrel length?

Barrel length is 21". I was hoping for 500 inside the 20". I still have to shoot through my gun and have a couple more chokes to try as well.

Mr. Hawk

TN Larry":335wmwgn said:
Finally got around to shooting one today through my son's 870 youth and Carlson's 575. The pattern looks good but not as good of a count as I had hoped but still satisfied. It's still a dead turkey but has a hole or two in the pattern. I have a couple of more chokes that I may try just to see if there is any difference. I'm definitely not complaining.

870 Youth
575 Carlson's
163 - 10"
247 - 20"
60 degrees

How far away was the shot?

TN Larry

Mr. Hawk":a9fcnhm5 said:
TN Larry":a9fcnhm5 said:

870 Youth
575 Carlson's
163 - 10"
247 - 20"
60 degrees

How far away was the shot?

Shot was 40 yards.

UpperTully

TN Larry":1rv1xq4o said:
Finally got around to shooting one today through my son's 870 youth and Carlson's 575. It's still a dead turkey but has a hole or two in the pattern. ]

I had a similar experience the other day with my sons 870 Youth with a .572 Undertaker and a Apex 3" 1 5/8oz load. It was pretty sad to the say the least. I didn't bother counting it.

TN Larry

UpperTully":2bld0rwr said:
TN Larry":2bld0rwr said:
Finally got around to shooting one today through my son's 870 youth and Carlson's 575. It's still a dead turkey but has a hole or two in the pattern. ]

I had a similar experience the other day with my sons 870 Youth with a .572 Undertaker and a Apex 3" 1 5/8oz load. It was pretty sad to the say the least. I didn't bother counting it.

I wouldn't call this one sad. I'll gladly hunt this pattern especially for a kid. There is a hole or two in the 10" that I'd like to see filled a little, however, there is not a spot in the 20" that you could put a turkey head and him not be dead. I have a couple tighter chokes that I am sure will throw a better 10" pattern but not sure about the 20" pattern. I've looked at several patterns today and see several in the 300+ 10" but a terrible 20". I would rather have mine now than those. I like the numbers, but the overall is how it will kill a turkey with room for error. I do, however, want my cake and eat it too with 250 in the 10 and 250 more in the 10-20.

megalomaniac

Hard to say for sure in the pic, but looks to me if you just adjusted your 10" and 20" circles up 3 inches and to the right 3", you would be more in the center of your pattern and numbers would improve quite a bit.

Tully, what went wrong with the .572 undertaker and the apex load? I would have thought that would have been a decent combo.

TN Larry

Andy S.":2p9av8v3 said:
To be sure, you did vibrate/mix 15 grains of buffer in with your TSS pellets, correct?

Yeah, I used a back massager to vibrate the shell until I could see shot.

TN Larry

megalomaniac":21cmpk0e said:
Hard to say for sure in the pic, but looks to me if you just adjusted your 10" and 20" circles up 3 inches and to the right 3", you would be more in the center of your pattern and numbers would improve

Not really. I did shift a couple inches to the right of POA to draw the circle.

UpperTully

megalomaniac":30r46pzn said:
Tully, what went wrong with the .572 undertaker and the apex load? I would have thought that would have been a decent combo.

That's what I'd figured as well! I have no clue what made it so bad. It looked like I was using a Imp Cyl choke. I shot a Nitro H276C right behind it and got great results. Shot a Win LB 6 and good results.

I've seen patterns of others using the same load through the .572 Undertaker choke and received great patterns.

I wish I'd kept the poster board, I'd take a photo and post. I just know, these Apex loads cost to much to be shooting to figure things out.

Latest posts