Rolled my first tss UPDATED, AGAIN.......

UpperTully

Re: Rolled my first tss UPDATED

TN Larry":sg66k8gz said:
UpperTully":sg66k8gz said:
TN Larry":sg66k8gz said:
Finally got around to shooting one today through my son's 870 youth and Carlson's 575. It's still a dead turkey but has a hole or two in the pattern. ]

I had a similar experience the other day with my sons 870 Youth with a .572 Undertaker and a Apex 3" 1 5/8oz load. It was pretty sad to the say the least. I didn't bother counting it.

I wouldn't call this one sad.

Your's is great compared to my results with the 572 UT. If I was to guess, I had 35-40% inside 20" at 40.

TN Larry

Re: Rolled my first tss UPDATED Again

Well, even though he probably won't admit it Andy S. is a standup guy. He's been a great help all the way around getting me set up to load these shells. TNDeer is an amazing place. So, I ended up having the Big 20 XLC load instead of the Big 20 XL. I emailed Hal and needed to change the wad with a tweak on the powder. That was the good news but bad news is that I could not find the wad anywhere. Andy S jumped through hoops to find me some as we shoot the same load. So, I got them in last night from a guy in Louisiana and loaded 5 shells. The temps were a little low for testing, but if you procrastinate, you can't be picky. :)

So down to the nitty, gritty. This afternoon, I shot the Big 20 XL with the .575 Carlson's with only average results. I then shot an XL and XLC through a Primos Tightwad. The Tightwad and XL will be what we will be hunting with this weekend.

This will do for at least now and would probably get to the 500+ in the 20" if the temps were a little warmer. The other pattern was good, but I like this one better.

870 Youth 21" Barrel
Big 20 XL with Tightwad choke
40 yards, 50 degrees
10" = 234
10-20" = 240
474 Total

megalomaniac

Aim small, miss small.... hope your boy doesn't get a 20 yd shot... he'll either miss or you won't be able to tell the head belonged to a turkey! That pattern will work!

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

megalomaniac":1vg9q2u2 said:
Aim small, miss small.... hope your boy doesn't get a 20 yd shot... he'll either miss or you won't be able to tell the head belonged to a turkey! That pattern will work!

You might be surprised. A lot of the TSS loads are much more forgiving at close range than lead loads. And, although a great pattern, this one isn't exceptionally tight. Just a good even 20" circle of death.

Andy S.

megalomaniac":1r41oa5g said:
Aim small, miss small....
Poleaxe":1r41oa5g said:
Dang that's tight. Wesley won't have any trouble laying one down tho.

To clarify, that is NOT an overly tight pattern with TSS #9s (80% of pellets inside the 20"), probably one of the more open and forgiving you will get with an aftermarket choke (.570 constriction, where a lot of guys like the .560 range). I personally hunt with a .575 in my current setup.

Also, if anyone guaranteed me their kid were going to be shooting 40 yards and under (most kids I would assume), I would recommend screwing in the factory flush full choke (.590 constriction for Remington 20G) and hunting. The pattern will be plenty good at 40 yards, while giving the kid more wiggle room up close to prevent a short range miss. The biggest challenge with this is getting seasoned hunters (parents) to accept the fact that you can consistently kill turkeys with #9 shot and a full choke, out to 40 yards. Old habits are hard to break.

Andy S.

TN Larry":2wmr6ljy said:
So, I ended up having the Big Stubby XLC load instead of the Big Stubby XL.
TNL - I think this is supposed to read "Big20 XLC instead of the Big20 XL". Just pointing that out to avoid confusion among others. For those unfamiliar to TSS, I believe Hal did some testing with the CSD-20 wad and developed the Big20 XLC load data when the VP92 wad was temporarily taken out of production. The "C" on the end of Big20 XLC denotes the use of "CSD-20" wad in the recipe.

kasey

The load I'm shooting uses the pt2092 wad and with the undertaker choke I had 142 in the 10. I'm going to try a Carlson today

TN Larry

Andy S.":3eh18iy5 said:
TN Larry":3eh18iy5 said:
So, I ended up having the Big Stubby XLC load instead of the Big Stubby XL.
TNL - I think this is supposed to read "Big20 XLC instead of the Big20 XL". Just pointing that out to avoid confusion among others. For those unfamiliar to TSS, I believe Hal did some testing with the CSD-20 wad and developed the Big20 XLC load data when the VP92 wad was temporarily taken out of production. The "C" on the end of Big20 XLC denotes the use of "CSD-20" wad in the recipe.

Yep, it's Big 20 XL and Big 20 XLC. I am not sure why I put Big Stubby. I'll edit the original.

TN Larry

Southern Sportsman":2rxhe6l0 said:
megalomaniac":2rxhe6l0 said:

You might be surprised. A lot of the TSS loads are much more forgiving at close range than lead loads. And, although a great pattern, this one isn't exceptionally tight. Just a good even 20" circle of death.

Agreed, I didn't think that it was too tight but tight enough to reach out there a little if we misjudge the yardage. It all depends on the shooter's ability as well. We may miss tomorrow, but I promise that his shooting skills and how he keeps relatively calm at the moment of truth doesn't match a normal 10 year old. He has the deer and turkey kills to back that up. He's much farther along in terms of how he holds his composure at 10 than I ever thought about being at that age. I would put him up against most adults in terms of making the shot. I do say that the reason though is because he's had a great teacher. :tu:

Seriously though, it is all about give and take. I still don't plan to let him shoot over 40 - 45 yards, but we could misjudge the yardage as well so I want that better pattern if we do. He shoots a red dot and did kill one last year with Hvy Wt #7s at 40. I also want him to be able to kill one at 20 yards as well without it being like a rifle. I meant to shoot at 20 yesterday but ran out of time. I still think that we are good and feel that this pattern is the best of both worlds. Time will tell........

Latest posts