Roll Your Own

Rakkin6

How many people on here roll your own shells? I rolled my first shells this year in 2 3/4" 2 ounce of #9. I posted some pictures on here from my Mossberg 535. Finally got a couple good recipes for some 3" shells in straight #9 and #7.5/#9 blend with 2 1/4 ounces of shot for 12 gauge. Also got one for 3"/#9/1 5/8 ounce in 20 gauge. I got the recipe from a well known fiddle box call maker. I could only get hulls for the 2 3/4" in enough time before the season started. Not even going to mess with a 3 1/2" recipe because I am not messing around with
3 1/2" shells anymore especially in TSS. Honestly with the advent of TSS we don't even really need the 12 gauge anymore, but I do like my 12 gauge setups a lot. That being said I do plan on buying a semi-auto 20 gauge before next season.

Tn Joe

I roll my own 20ga shells but hardly ever hunt with it nowadays. I'm usually toting my 410 and have been shooting federal tss out of it. I bought several boxes of it few years ago when it was on sale after season. I'll probably try to find the components to load 410 before next spring as my stash is getting low.

Rakkin6

I roll my own 20ga shells but hardly ever hunt with it nowadays. I'm usually toting my 410 and have been shooting federal tss out of it. I bought several boxes of it few years ago when it was on sale after season. I'll probably try to find the components to load 410 before next spring as my stash is getting low.
I am a hard head, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of guy. I am a 12 gauge guy that is just coming around to the 20 gauge. I may never be able to bring myself to the .410 lol. I have seen some videos on YouTube though of patterns with the .410 and it is shocking. From the ones I have seen it seems like the Apex .410 shells shoot really well also.

Nsghunter

I am a hard head, if it ain't broke don't fix it type of guy. I am a 12 gauge guy that is just coming around to the 20 gauge. I may never be able to bring myself to the .410 lol. I have seen some videos on YouTube though of patterns with the .410 and it is shocking. From the ones I have seen it seems like the Apex .410 shells shoot really well also.
I tote the .410 because of my children. I am still using my own Mossberg 535, but I wouldn't think twice about changing to a 20ga if I was starting over again. If anything else I would welcome a weight reduction. I may consider converting next year and offer up my 535 with all my longboard shells.

Jbird22

I've been "folding" my own for 5 or 6 yrs now. My go-to load is 3" 1-5/8 oz 9's in 20 ga. I did try a load of 3" 2 oz 8's in 12 ga this yr with good results. This yr is the first time I have carried the 12 since I started loading TSS and I only did that a few times because that 12 has sentimental value. Outside of that, I'm completely sold on the 20 ga.

Tn Joe

Probably have less than $150 invested in my 410 and it's a stone cold killer. At first I felt a little under gunned but not anymore.

Rakkin6

Probably have less than $150 invested in my 410 and it's a stone cold killer. At first I felt a little under gunned but not anymore.
Do you have the Rossi or the Stevens/Savage? Those seem to be the two most popular. My only concern with those two guns is they are single shots. And it being a .410 without has dense of a pattern has a 12 or 20 where you have more wiggle room for error if you need a follow up shot it could become an issue. Have you encountered this if you have either of these guns.

fairchaser

I roll my own 3" 12 ga 2 oz of 8.5 tss and shoot it out of a mossberg 835. I see no need to change. If I need to carry less weight, I'll lose 10 lbs off my gut which is healthier and cheaper than buying a new shotgun.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I've loaded for many years both shotgun and rifle/pistol. I've never loaded for turkeys. How much per shell do you have in your 12 ga Tss loads, and how much experimentation did it take to find a good load

Tn Joe

Do you have the Rossi or the Stevens/Savage? Those seem to be the two most popular. My only concern with those two guns is they are single shots. And it being a .410 without has dense of a pattern has a 12 or 20 where you have more wiggle room for error if you need a follow up shot it could become an issue. Have you encountered this if you have either of these guns.
Yes mine is a savage. I keep a few extra shells in a holder on the butt stock for a quick reload. Did have to make a follow up shot once and still got the bird.

Rakkin6

Yes mine is a savage. I keep a few extra shells in a holder on the butt stock for a quick reload. Did have to make a follow up shot once and still got the bird.
No never had to make a follow up before. But knowing my luck though has soon has I switched to a single shot I would. I have had to have a follow up with my bow once before.

TN Larry

I have been hunting with a 20 ga since 2017. I started with Federal Hvy Wt and then started rolling my own 1 5/8 oz #9 TSS loads in 2018 for myself and my son. Both guns are 21" barrel 870s and put right at 500 shot in a 20" circle at 40 yds. I see no need for my 12 ga to ever come back out of the safe and don't think my shoulder could take the recoil from it either after having disc issues in my neck.

Rakkin6

How costly when handloading TSS? Any special hints for loading TSS?
Contact this guy, his name is Hal Abbott this is his website. You can get all you need to begin reloading and he will email you recipes based on what you are trying to do. Really good guy and has it down to a science in regards to handloading TSS.

Jbird22

Also, Tommy Duliba is from TN and his 90/93 load is what I run in 20 ga. You can find his contact information on GobblerNation Forums under Tommy's Xtreme Shot.

Latest posts