• Help Support TNDeer:

Rogue calf question

GOODWIN

I’m in MS. My buddy had a neighbors cow wander on to us property months ago. She birth a calf and then we found her dead awhile ago from unknown cause. The calf has stuck around and made his property and food plots home. The owners have basically given up on trying to catch this calf after several failed attempts and have said he can have it. My buddy wants it gone. It is very spooky and will run at the sight of a human.

I’d estimate it at 300-400lbs now but I’m no cattle farmer. What are my options with getting this thing butchered and processed? I can slaughter, gut, lift with front end loader, skin, etc. Are there any laws or certification I’d need to take meat to butcher?

Never been cow hunting

Popcorn

Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
In Tennessee and Kentucky you can butcher your own meat. Just not legal to sell it.
butchers will not accept dead stock normally except game. A good calf should produce 55% net as commonly processed, deboned and trimmed 40 to 45%.
Shoot it in the head so you dont waste meat and hunt it, dont herd it! when cattle get excited the release chemicals that make the meat less tasty and more tough.
Bleed it out thoroughly quickly, when processing you will be glad you did.

rooketnhunter

Get some panels and some sweet feed,about a week the calf should get used to coming to it.Personally I would feed it a few months(longer if possible).

Last edited:

Chapman

I think you would be better off if you could get the calf to a sale barn. You could try to trap him with some feed and panels like someone said and haul it. You will probably get around $1/pound for it. The best method would be if you could turn a few cows in the pasture with him him and then drive them to a corral. If you know a cowboy who can rope and load him in a trailer that would work too.

rooketnhunter

I think you would be better off if you could get the calf to a sale barn. You could try to trap him with some feed and panels like someone said and haul it. You will probably get around $1/pound for it. The best method would be if you could turn a few cows in the pasture with him him and then drive them to a corral. If you know a cowboy who can rope and load him in a trailer that would work too.
Yes sir,good idea Chapman

19_A_CPT

At the height, they were bringing upwards of $2/lb at that size fwiw. Not sure what they are bringing now, but still decent money to be made if you could wrangle her... .Or feed your family for the year.

Hank Hill

If you do try and get it up. Use good heavy duty panels. A calf that size will crush cheap panels. I had one try and jump my corral and it flattened one of my panels.
Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts