Robbing my traps

Atchman2

Okay,

I've been setting my traps for a week now. Only caught one raccoon, but shot some coyotes near them! I'm thinking the bait is too easy to steal. I dug the bait holes deeper today. Do you think that will help?

Atchman2
c2d5dcceb27af7eaf9b7d09f66b6cf8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

pressfit

Dig them 18 inches deep if you can.. the longer they stay at the set trying to go the bait the better the chance you have at catching them.

Atchman2

Okay,

I dug the holes a little deeper. Probably 10" or so with my post hole diggers. Still they are stealing the bait! Foot prints are all over the place but my traps aren't sprung. Is it a lightweight critter? I'm going to put cameras on the three that are being robbed and just see what is getting my bait. I suspect either a fox or a coon.

Just frustrating to get nothing despite the fact i KNOW there are critters around :(

pressfit

Post hole digger? Just how big of a hole are you digging? Normally a 3-4 inch diameter hole will work just fine.. google some coyote dirt hole sets.. I'm telling you.. 18" deep and they probably won't be stealing your bait..

TnHoss

If you don't have a hole punch you can use a narrow blade garden trowel just try not to get the hole any wider than the trowel. I wouldn't go any less than 12" deep and 16" to 18" is better.The longer you keep them around the trap working the bait the better your chances are of catching them.

TnHoss

Another tip that I just remembered and it will be easier than a trowel, get a piece of 3/8" rebar at least 2 ft. long and drive it in the ground at least 12" or more and work it around in a circle making the opening a little wider. Then put your bait in the hole and use a stick to push it deeper.

Atchman2

Thank you folks for helping a beginner. You guys are great! My latest theory is that where my traps are set, the ground is just too wet. They maybe pushing the trap down instead of setting it off. I'm going to Google traps in wet areas. They are obviously coming back to the traps. I have time today to put out a couple of cameras and I'll keep my "teachers" informed. :)

Atchman2

Today I put out some raccoon traps leading up to where my coyote sets are deployed. Only thing on the trail cameras this week are coons and a single coyote.

Attachments

• WGI_0036.JPG
    WGI_0036.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 5,054

Atchman2

I put out another camera, this one on the sites that are being robbed. Though I dug the holes much deeper, they still are not deep enough I feel. Hopefully we'll have some pictures of the culprits tomorrow.

I did put out some raccoon traps. The coons took all the bait above the triggers and didn't reach down to trip the traps! Going to try something like peanut butter on the triggers I think. Time is wasting!

pressfit

I have stuck a big marshmallow on the trigger.. kinda sounds like nice getting the bait.. most of the time a coon won't stop until it's cleaned out..

Atchman2

I put a camera facing down the trail just to see what was happening. One of my traps, was tripped. However, no blood or fur, so it must have been a clean miss. Anyway, there was a coyote there!

Attachments

• WGI_0013.JPG
    WGI_0013.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 4,991

Latest posts