Road Law??

travle

Does anyone remember or know the law for how far you have to be off a road to legally hunt for deer?

catman529

not sure but wouldn't it be ok if you are off the right-of-way, which would vary depending on the road?

I have hunted within 40 yd of a back country road before. Just used common sense and not shot toward the road.

travle

well i'm not planning on shooting towards a road, but I know there is a law I believe that states you have to be off a road so far to hunt. I just wanna be hunting within the laws.

TN24081

I don't think there is a law of such. There may be such laws on public lands but I don't think it matters on private land. I'm not real smart though, so maybe ask the lady in the sporting goods department at Wal-Mart.... :)

BigD_625

You have to be 100 yards from a dwelling house. I don't think there's a law for right of way distance. You can't hunt from a stationary vehicle on public land.

I have personally hunted in a dead end numbered road on a WMA. Got checked by 2 different wardens, and neither one of them mentioned that I had a loaded weapon on the right of way.

BMan

For roads, you have to be off of the right-of-way. At our land, the ROW is essentially the drainage ditch next to the road and that's it.

If you're hunting private property, there is no minimum distance required from a house, whether that house is on your private land or a neighbor's (although could make for some cranky neighbors).

If you're hunting public land, you must be 100 yards from any house being used as a dwelling.

bowriter

R.I.P.
You cannot shoot toward or across a public road I believe is the way it reads. I'm sure, if you asked this question on the TWRA forum you could get an answer pretty fast.

pcrc

What exactly constitutes a road is my question? Is it a public road maintained by the municipality?

Bone Collector

BMan said:
For roads, you have to be off of the right-of-way. At our land, the ROW is essentially the drainage ditch next to the road and that's it.

If you're hunting private property, there is no minimum distance required from a house, whether that house is on your private land or a neighbor's (although could make for some cranky neighbors).

If you're hunting public land, you must be 100 yards from any house being used as a dwelling.

this is correct. i have verified on here and by phone at the regional office. all you have to do is be off the right of way and then (of course) don't shoot back across the roadway. That is actually part of the law the way it was explained. seemed like common sense, but you know how that goes.....

the easiest way to do so is if you are in the woods you should be ok. just depneds on the right of way as determined by the state. look at the tax assessors map, it will show where property lines start, even public land (at least Rutherford Co. does).

BMan

The law just states public road; I take that as any road that is open to travel to anyone.

The actual law that Bowriter and I mentioned is:

TCA 70-4-108. Hunting from or across public road or near dwelling -- Penalty.

(a) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a public road right-of-way, or to shoot any firearms across or on any public road.

(b) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, or kill, with or without dogs any wild animal, wild bird or wild fowl on public lands and waters within one hundred yards (100 yds.) of a visible dwelling house, whether or not such dwelling house is on public or private lands, without the owner's permission.

(c) A violation of subsection (a) or (b) is a Class C misdemeanor.

(d) (1) It is unlawful to hunt, shoot at, chase, catch, or kill, with or without dogs, any wild animal, wild bird, or wild fowl from a motor vehicle on either a public road or right-of-way, or from a public road or right-of-way after leaving a motor vehicle specifically for such purpose with the immediate intent to return to the vehicle.

(2) A violation of this subsection (d) is a Class A misdemeanor.

For some reason, the hunting guide this year left out paragraph (a); it's been there in the past.

Hunting guide is at http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/ ... NAL-LR.pdf

Tennessee code is at http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Latest posts