Road kill observations

AT Hiker

In my little world of Northern Mid-TN and KY line of Montgomery/Christian/Todd Counties I have seen no where near the dead deer on the roads. Usually this time of year on the Pennyrile Pkwy in KY the road is littered with decapitated deer.
However, this did not dawn on me until my daughter called this morning telling me about watching a deer get smashed and "exploding" on I-24 at the Exit 4 overpass 🤦‍♂️

Anyone else notice this or is this just my anecdote?

Last edited:

Ski

I drove home from Ohio Monday and didn't see the first dead deer. Didn't see one on the way up either. And I don't take interstates. Actually come to think of it, I didn't see a deer in any of the fields or crossing roads, either.

Lost Lake

In my little world of Northern Mid-TN and KY line of Montgomery/Christian/Todd Counties I have seen no where near the dead deer on the roads. Usually this time of year on the Pennyrile Pkwy in KY the road is littered with decapitated deer.
However, this did not dawn on me until my daughter called this morning telling me about watching a deer get smashed and "exploding" on I-24 at the Exit 4 overpass 🤦‍♂️

I've noticed fewer as well, and so have friends. I just noticed in the last couple of days though, a few dead deer on 840, including one decent buck this morning. Usually by now, the interstates look like a red checkerboard.

Omega

Only time I've seen decapitated deer is when someone pulls over for the antlers. But I have seen some pretty grisly scenes on I-24, especially when a large truck hits one.

themanpcl

I'm east of nashville and by now, most years, I'd have seen carnage on I40 and on 109 but very little to date.

AT Hiker

Only time I've seen decapitated deer is when someone pulls over for the antlers. But I have seen some pretty grisly scenes on I-24, especially when a large truck hits one.
That was my point, on the Pennyrile I swear people drive up and down it with a sawzaw.

Speaking of grisly scenes, a special effects artist would have a wet dream after witnessing a semi truck, doing 90 mph, hit a pronghorn antelope.🤢

Omega

That was my point, on the Pennyrile I swear people drive up and down it with a sawzaw.

Speaking of grisly scenes, a special effects artist would have a wet dream after witnessing a semi truck, doing 90 mph, hit a pronghorn antelope.🤢
Ha, I have thought about it but never done it. But if I see one with large bases I might, want some to make knife handles, but won't cut one of mine up.

mike243

I seen a racked buck this morning on 40e somewhere past the 407 been seeing dead for the last 3 weeks pretty regular

Cheshire

I drove from jackson to hickory nc today. Didn't count them, but probably saw 10 give or take. Mainly in east tn

Dumbluck

I've been counting on my commutes around middle TN. Today 11-4-22; from dickson to Nashville on I-40, 0 deer. From Nashville to Murfreesboro on I-24, 2 deer. From Murfreesboro to Dickson on 840, 2 deer.

3 were small probably 1 year old bucks and 1 doe.

Mr.Bro

Saw maybe 8 or10 going and coming up I24 between Hoptown exit and Nashville. Last weekend.

Saw the remains over exit 4 this evening. Nashville to Hoptown today maybe 4 or 5 roadkill.

Harold Money jr

of the 20 or so I've seen on the side of the interstate, 15 were 1 1/2 year old bucks, 2 we're decapitated and 3 does. I'd say the big boys aren't ready yet, in my neck of the woods At least. South East Tennessee.

Latest posts