Road hunter

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
I have watched the same chevy pick up Drive very slowly up the road one and 15 minutes later come back down the road. This has happened 4 times in the last 90 minutes. I wondered why I hadn't been seeing any deer in my fields and now I think I know why.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Just made 5 trip down road with window down and driving at a very slow speed. I opened shooting house door and let him see me and he quickly drove off. Didn't get his tag and he fired no shots so no need to call TWRA. Road hunters suck!

duckduck84

oldmanelrod":3upmw4xq said:
I have watched the same chevy pick up Drive very slowly up the road one and 15 minutes later come back down the road. This has happened 4 times in the last 90 minutes. I wondered why I hadn't been seeing any deer in my fields and now I think I know why.
Call Sheriff's Dept and report suspicious activity.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Coldfusion

oldmanelrod":1gxwt39t said:
Just made 5 trip down road with window down and driving at a very slow speed. I opened shooting house door and let him see me and he quickly drove off. Didn't get his tag and he fired no shots so no need to call TWRA. Road hunters suck!
I get it 100% trust me, but you need to let law enforcement know. I've seen several time where people decided to handle their own business and met resistance they didn't anticipate. Nothing against you on that because I also like handling my own affairs and see your side. Unfortunately this world has little morals or ethics and some of these scum bags would shoot you to avoid getting a ticket. Let your tax dollars work for you and call your sheriffs office.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Coldfusion":31h8pvdi said:
oldmanelrod":31h8pvdi said:
I get it 100% trust me, but you need to let law enforcement know. I've seen several time where people decided to handle their own business and met resistance they didn't anticipate. Nothing against you on that because I also like handling my own affairs and see your side. Unfortunately this world has little morals or ethics and some of these scum bags would shoot you to avoid getting a ticket. Let your tax dollars work for you and call your sheriffs office.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree 100% with what you write. If it read like I would take things in my on hands the I came across wrong. I opened the door to let the driver know I was there so they would move on. I did two tours to Iraq and have seen how senseless things can get.

winchester77jj

I hate a poacher. Wether I be a trespasser or a roadhunter or what. You spend a lot of energy time and money to improve your deer hunting and someone else can undo all of it with little to no effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duckduck84

You know this thread got me thinking about something and I honestly think this may be the trouble with our land, or at least has been in the past. None of the stands that are on the field edges (where you can see the field from the road) ever have deer feed in front of them much. Deer may come by but they don't linger there like I see other herds do. I honestly wonder if it's because they've been shot at from the road too much. It'd be very easy to do and get away with it out there.

Just a shame.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Jcalder

I've got one of them as well. White Chevrolet truck. Gets old. Best I could do was put a lock on the gate and make it harder on them getting one out. Hate to know what gets found when we bushhog

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Jcalder":yzx93qza said:
I've got one of them as well. White Chevrolet truck. Gets old. Best I could do was put a lock on the gate and make it harder on them getting one out. Hate to know what gets found when we bushhog

Sad thing about is that unless they shoot at or hit something there is not a whole lot that can be done about a "man driving down a public road and admiring the wildlife". Even then they need to be and apprehended by law enforcement with the deer/turkey in their possession. Otherwise it is just your word against theirs that they were road hunting in a court of law.

TheLBLman

oldmanelrod":3t4f34m3 said:
Sad thing about is that unless they shoot at or hit something there is not a whole lot that can be done about a "man driving down a public road and admiring the wildlife". Even then they need to be and apprehended by law enforcement with the deer/turkey in their possession. Otherwise it is just your word against theirs that they were road hunting in a court of law.
Actually, many of these outlaws will not have a carry permit, and will have cartridges in their rifles ---- illegal.
Some will even be felons not allowed to posses a deer rifle --- sheriff can get them for this alone.

Just report the suspicions activity --- they might be running drugs as well --- many of those transactions occur on country roads, and many of what appears to be road hunters are actually drug runners.

ADR

TheLBLman":2en10rbz said:
oldmanelrod":2en10rbz said:
Actually, many of these outlaws will not have a carry permit, and will have cartridges in their rifles ---- illegal.
Some will even be felons not allowed to posses a deer rifle --- sheriff can get them for this alone.

Just report the suspicions activity --- they might be running drugs as well --- many of those transactions occur on country roads, and many of what appears to be road hunters are actually drug runners.

Unless im mistaken, if they own the vehicle, it is legal for the rifle to be loaded even without a carry permit. Assuming they can legally own the rifle. Please correct me if im wrong but it falls under the castle doctorine in tn

knightrider

ADR":xzdn8al3 said:
TheLBLman":xzdn8al3 said:
oldmanelrod":xzdn8al3 said:

Unless im mistaken, if they own the vehicle, it is legal for the rifle to be loaded even without a carry permit. Assuming they can legally own the rifle. Please correct me if im wrong but it falls under the castle doctorine in tn
not that simple, intentions can still be pushed and proved by police and wardens, castle doctrine doesn't get you by when intent is there

GRIT

All through the 80s i think 50% of hunters road hunted.It.s a lot better now but there is still a lot of it going on in certain areas.Hard to catch a road hunter

sallee-bo

I despise road hunters as much as anyone but driving down the road slowly with the window down doesn't always mean road hunting. Over the years I've spent many hours doing this with absolutely no weapons in my truck, just my binocs. I just like to watch deer. I'm pretty sure a lot of you do or have done the same.
Although I rarely do this during deer season, sometimes I don't get off work early enough to hunt in the afternoon and will ride around and look. Does this make me a road hunter?

Jcalder

sallee-bo":1kltme08 said:
I despise road hunters as much as anyone but driving down the road slowly with the window down doesn't always mean road hunting. Over the years I've spent many hours doing this with absolutely no weapons in my truck, just my binocs. I just like to watch deer. I'm pretty sure a lot of you do or have done the same.
Although I rarely do this during deer season, sometimes I don't get off work early enough to hunt in the afternoon and will ride around and look. Does this make me a road hunter?
the guy I was referring to is related to my stepdad. Couldn't tell you how many times he stopped by when I was a kid and heard him telling about a deer he shot from the road. I remember my stepdad telling him he'll get caught one day and they'll take his ride. He always laughed.

Now doing as you describe is understandable. I've done it. Most others have as well. I couldn't tell you how many times I've took the back way to church on a Wednesday evening looking for deer. Me and my oldest make a game of it.

diggerak

Funny story. Years ago a couple of road hunters jumped out of the truck to retrieve a deer. What a surprise when someone snuck across road and stole truck running it into a large creek. Seen the whole thing from across the field. Laughed till I nearly peed myself.

csi-tech

We used to invite the local TWRA agents to use our road frontage to work Timex, their robo deer. Worked great and the word got out.

treefarmer

Plant three rows of shortleaf or loblolly pine trees along the edge of your fields and let the weeds grow up between them. In two years you won't be able to see or shoot through it.