RNT Short Barrel: Wood or Acrylic?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Since I'm not willing to drive 5.5 hours one way to try a call before I buy, I'm going to go ahead and buy one that can resell well if it's not for me.

The RNT Short Barrel looks like plenty for me to grow into this offseason, with a design for a good lower range sound.

But what material to get? Looks like wood is cheaper and potentially got more natural tone. But acrylic is low-maintenance, durable, and potentially has better top-range performance.

Which would you get and why?

Also, I would still be open to getting an Echo Timber (or maybe the ODB or Pure Meat) but the same question applies: wood or acrylic?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Also not sure if a what type of wood matters much, but I'm curious what people on here feel about different call woods. Online threads from other sites don't seem to make a compelling case for one over another.

GUNNERX2

If I were to buy a new wood call, no matter the make, it would be... #1 Hedge, #2 Cocabola and #3 Rosewood. To me, they just look and sound better with age. There are a lot of woods that look great especially those highly figured exotics but to me those would be shelf queens and not get used.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
go lares hybrid. you can buy precut reeds to suit your style. simply the best.

You're probably right—love the sound of the T1 small bore on clips. But I'll probably have to save up some more if I go that route. Great resale value, though it's probably not the kind of call you can blame if you move on from it.

Headhunter

I have rich n tone acrylic, great sounding call and easy to call with.

Also have a custom wood call, drake break i think, made in Arkansas that sounds good.

Those are the 2 I call with.

I have metal reed Johnny Marsh, a Scobey and several others. They mostly are never used.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I have rich n tone acrylic, great sounding call and easy to call with.

Also have a custom wood call, drake break i think, made in Arkansas that sounds good.

Those are the 2 I call with.

I have metal reed Johnny Marsh, a Scobey and several others. They mostly are never used.
Which model RNT and when did you get it?

Headhunter

not sure, just know is it is acrylic. over 20 years old and best sounding call I have. I believe I paid $150 for it.

tickweed

You're probably right—love the sound of the T1 small bore on clips. But I'll probably have to save up some more if I go that route. Great resale value, though it's probably not the kind of call you can blame if you move on from it.
Well said. A lares takes a lil different air presentation to blow, but I promise, most who learn to blown a lares will never go back. And resale is the best. But why would you resale? LOL

Latest posts