Rifle

Grainger

When I go to call I carry my rock river 20 inch varmint, in 223 wylde, it is a heavy rifle but extremely accurate. When walking checking traps outside deer season I carry something lighter, usually either my dpms 16 inch carbine or one of the rifles I built that has a prairie panther barrel, also in 223. During deer season carry whatever I am hunting with, and will shoot yotes on sight with whatever I happen to have in my hands at that time.
When I was first getting into Coyote hunting, I asked an experienced dog hunter what was the best Coyote rifle; he answered: "Whatever you have in your hands when you see one". He then recommended a reliable bolt gun in 223 due to high availability of a variety of inexpensive, quality ammunition--Boy those were the days!

Hunter 257W

Next time I go out think I will take a 221 fireball
What kind of rifle you got in 221 Fireball? I assume you are talking about a rifle rather than the Remington bolt pistol that kickstarted the round in the 1st place. I have a laminated stock Remington 700 in 221 myself. The only thing i dislike about it is the weight of that stock. Love the cartridge. Good performance with very little powder. Loves 50 or 55 grain bullets.

KPH

What kind of rifle you got in 221 Fireball? I assume you are talking about a rifle rather than the Remington bolt pistol that kickstarted the round in the 1st place. I have a laminated stock Remington 700 in 221 myself. The only thing i dislike about it is the weight of that stock. Love the cartridge. Good performance with very little powder. Loves 50 or 55 grain bullets.
Rifle Remington 700 they made some a few years ago. Talking about a fun gun.

Hunter 257W

Is that one of the Classic 700's? Seems like that may have been the chambering one year. Yeah, it is a great walking around the farm rifle. You can bust varmints and see the bullet impact in the scope with so little recoil. Barrel life should be many thousands of rounds.

Yotehntr

I've used 17 rem. 22 mag, 223, but my favorite is 22-250. Just bought a new one for a retirement gift, Christensen Arms Ridgeline... btw, these posts aren't any good without pics show your guns!

2-15-21-coyote.jpg

Swampster

Used to be a 22-250, but then I bought a Barrett in .308. It is so versatile I don't ever carry anything else anymore. In the past if I had my 30-30, I would see something to make me wish I had the 22-250 and vice versa. Now, whether I see a deer at 60 yards or a coyote at 300, I have the right rifle with me.

Olevern

My fav. is a Rem. 700 stainless medium weight with flutes in 22-250.

That being said, every time I open one of the safes some random .223 or other 22-250 or 220 Swift or 243 or 224 Valkyrie begs to come along, so occasionally take something else.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
Bunch of good calibers suggested. But remember what ever you get if you don't have ammo to practice and shot it won't do you much good.

Pioneer1789

I hunt coyotes with an AR I built chambered in 6.5 grendel. More power than a 223 in a lightweight package. About 7.5lbs with scope and rings.

Rancocas

I've used a .22 LR, a .30/30, and also a .357 revolver to take some coyotes when opportunity smiled, but I prefer my old bolt action Sako in the old .222 Rem. Second choice is my Ruger #1 in .220 Swift.
I know the .223 is a good coyote round, but ever since Vietnam I just have not liked that caliber. I know that is just a personal prejudice of mine, but I'm stuck with it.