Rifle vs Muzzleloader recoil

Pinwheeled

Been doing a lot of googling on this and can't find a solid answer. My muzzleloader rocks me pretty good and just curious what it might be comparable to in a rifle. I'm shooting a TC Triumph with 75gr (by weight) of BH209 and a 300gr SST. I did one of those recoil calculators which told me I was in .338 Win Mag territory. That seemed a bit high to me but I don't know. Anyone else shoot a similar setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

ML's kick more than most rifles. You are pushing a heavy large caliber bullet and that translates into recoil. None of my ML are fun to shoot. Even my smokeless rocks me hard. I also have a 338 Winchester and I'd say your assessment is pretty close.

Jcalder

Stocks make a huge difference. Before I went smokeless I had a cva optima v2 with a regular stock. Think I was shooting 77 grains of bh and a 250gr Barnes. Got the same gun with a thumb hole and it killed my hand with the same load. Part of it was the "checkering" as it was like sandpaper but it changed how I gripped and the gun enough it would rock me good.

Found a calculator once that figured recoil. My smokeless generates around 35 pounds of recoil. Not sure where a 338WM falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHRIS WILSON

Looking at the BH209 load data from their site, your weighed charge is comparable to a charge of a bit over 100 grs by volume. Paired with a 300 gr bullet....I'm guessing it's shooting somewhere around the 1900-1950 fps mark. Performance wise, that would put it in line with a 45-70 loaded a touch on the hot side from industry standard. The recoil energy generated should be comparable. As mentioned, stock design has an affect on felt recoil...as does the weight of the rifle. A bad stock design and/or a light weight rifle will exaggerate felt recoil. If I remember correctly, the Triumph is a little on the light weight side.

DaveB

I agree, recoil can take all the fun out of shooting.

Get one of these put it on under your shirt and forget about it. Turns a 300 WinMag into a 223.

Attachments

• PAST_recoil.jpg
    PAST_recoil.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,122

DaveB

And as a note to all readers, no female should be without one of these when shooting no matter the caliber or the female. Trucker Suzy or Shirley shooter, protect your Ladies.

infoman jr.

DaveB":1lxdktod said:
And as a note to all readers, no female should be without one of these when shooting no matter the caliber or the female. Trucker Suzy or Shirley shooter, protect your Ladies.
That's weird. I know women who are tougher than most men I've been around. On the flip side, I've worked with some male gun designers whose shoulders were made of glass.

Deer Assassin

infoman jr.":3nv0en19 said:
DaveB":3nv0en19 said:
That's weird. I know women who are tougher than most men I've been around. On the flip side, I've worked with some male gun designers whose shoulders were made of glass.
DITTO