Remington V3 Question

WilcoKen

I have a V3 with 28" barrel and synthetic stock/forearm. Is there any issue with installing a walnut stock/forearm? I would think not, but ran across and old post showing Remington says you should not replace with wood.

infoman jr.

I was one of the 3 designers on the V3, so I can help. :) The guns with wood furniture used a special plug on the gas block to direct the exhaust gases forward to reduce the chance of wood fore ends cracking. After I left, they may have started using those special plugs on all models, so I would check that.

Last edited:

WilcoKen

I was one of the 3 designers on the V3, so I can help. :) The guns with wood furniture used a special plug on the gas block to direct the exhaust gases forward to reduce the chance of wood fore ends cracking. After I left, they have started using those special plugs on all models, so I would check that.
Thanks for the info. After researching some more I found out you can put synthetic on the wood V3 but not wood on synthetic model (per Randy Wakeman). When I installed the wood forearm there was not enough room for the end cap to catch the threads. So it appeared to me the millwork was stopping the forearm from sliding all the way down. I shaved the 2 rails (inside the forearm) about 1/4" and it fits nicely. I've shot it and it shoots normally but after researching it I think I will put the synthetic back on. I don't want to block the gas flow in any way. It's a shame too because I love the classic look of wood. And great work on the design—it's a very good handling gun for me.

infoman jr.

Thanks for the info. After researching some more I found out you can put synthetic on the wood V3 but not wood on synthetic model (per Randy Wakeman). When I installed the wood forearm there was not enough room for the end cap to catch the threads. So it appeared to me the millwork was stopping the forearm from sliding all the way down. I shaved the 2 rails (inside the forearm) about 1/4" and it fits nicely. I've shot it and it shoots normally but after researching it I think I will put the synthetic back on. I don't want to block the gas flow in any way. It's a shame too because I love the classic look of wood. And great work on the design—it's a very good handling gun for me.
Yeah Randy really took a liking to the V3 which came as a surprise to me considering how critical he was of the 105CTi. I'm glad it's working well for you.

Uncle Jesse

I was one of the 3 designers on the V3, so I can help. :) The guns with wood furniture used a special plug on the gas block to direct the exhaust gases forward to reduce the chance of wood fore ends cracking. After I left, they may have started using those special plugs on all models, so I would check that.
Oh so that's why they call it "V3". 3 designers 😀

That also explains why folks with wood stocks didn't complain about gas blowback

infoman jr.

Oh so that's why they call it "V3". 3 designers 😀

That also explains why folks with wood stocks didn't complain about gas blowback
The marketing guys were going to call it the Versa, but people already called the Versa Max by the same name, so we talked them out of it. The V comes from the versaport gas system, and the 3 comes from the 3" chamber.

WilcoKen

The marketing guys were going to call it the Versa, but people already called the Versa Max by the same name, so we talked them out of it. The V comes from the versaport gas system, and the 3 comes from the 3" chamber.
If you come across anyone wanting to trade a wood model V3 for a synthetic please PM me. It's a long shot but I'd love to have a wood model.

WilcoKen

There is just nothing cooler on a shotgun or rifle than beautiful walnut and polished blue steel.

Unfortunately they have convinced these youngsters cheap is better. Now they paint guns.
Here's my favorite. Remington 1100.

Attachments

• A2AE1A2D-6D0C-45BA-990D-AF9B4AE7F1EA.jpeg
    A2AE1A2D-6D0C-45BA-990D-AF9B4AE7F1EA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79

Uncle Jesse

Just messing with ya. Yep, V3 makes perfect sense. We just need a 20 gauge V3 now

SSlater

A friend of mine in Maryville has two V3s for sale if anyone is interested. They're both in excellent condition. He has an extra stock and forearm as well.

My cell is 865-456-6703 if you're serious.

Latest posts