Remington 870 choke

farm208

If you had a great 870 pump and wanted to buy a new choke for your gun what brand would you prefer?
I have one and it hits about 6 inches to the right at 40 yds. What I mean is most of the shot holes are hitting to the right. I'm having to hold high about 6 inches And also about 6 inches to the left to get the shot in the neck and head area of the turkey target.

Chief44

I don't know if that can necessarily be fixed by changing chokes. Not all shotguns shoot to point of aim. I had a shotgun when I started Turkey hunting that was that way. Had a gunsmith bend the barrel where it shot true. The other option is to add a scope or red dot. Which is what I would do. Love a dot on my Turkey guns.

Jbird22

I've had great results with a Carlsons .575 for 20 ga with TSS and a Jellyhead .665 for 12 ga with Hevi 13 or TSS.

As others have said though, it will likely take an optic to truly help with that issue.

Last edited:

utvolsfan77

Before looking at other choke tubes and possible barrel issues, try different types of ammo. Does your 870 consistently hit low right at any given range regardless of which ammo you use, or does this only happen with certain types? Could it possibly be anticipating recoil and jerking the trigger thus moving barrel off target?

Willysman

Carlson Long Beard choke in my 870. Might try different shells but I have a set of magnum gobble dot sights that are adjustable. That way you can adjust the pattern just like on a rifle. Works for me.

farm208

Thanks for your input guys. Willsyman I'll check on the mag. Double dot sights. I picked up a jelly head choke by primos at sportsman warehouse in Chattanooga and am very pleased. With win longbeard shells it shot absolutely incredible. If I hold at top of head of turkey target the shot covers all over. Tickled I found a great choke. With the heavi shot it didn't shoot well. Anyway I'm confident now and ready to go more.

SES

I shoot the Remington Super Full Turkey out of my 870. I bought a bunch of Remington Nitro Turkey loads years ago and the combo shoots great out of mine.

Latest posts