Reloading Classes or Someone willing to Teach?

DrewandRhia

Looking to learn how to reload. Didn't know if there happens to be any classes maybe or any one willing to help teach and get me started in reloading. Willing to pay for someone to help the learning process and get me setup with what I need. Thanks for any help!

backyardtndeer

A good manual goes a long ways in learning, I would suggest going ahead and buying one. Learned on my own, with my Hornady manual. Components are a little easier to come by now than they were 2 years ago, but still tough finding large rifle primers. Go on and start buying the components you need as you find them available. I started out with a Hornady lock n load kit. Any of the kits with a good manual will work. Ask whatever questions you have here, someone will know the answers.

But yeah, sure someone here would be willing to help you, need to know where you are.

fairchaser

There is tons of information on YouTube on reloading. You can glean a lot there. But, the basics are best taught and shown hands on. Decide where you want to end up before you start buying a bunch of equipment that you don't need or will need to be upgraded. Do you want a good hunting load or something you can win a benchrest match with? The reloading steps can be only 3-4 or a dozen depending on what you want to end up with. The equipment can cost a few hundred to many thousands of dollars. Don't let this frighten you, the rewards are immense and satisfying. Some reload to shoot and some shoot to reload. It can be addicting.

DrewandRhia

Sorry I'm in Dickson and work in Nashville. But will drive a little bit for sure. I understand there are manuals and videos but I guess I'm just more comfortable learning hands on and would just enjoy meeting someone to show me how they do things and offer their ideas. Thanks for any help as always.

DaveB

Your starting point is to determine which reloading data source are you going to use. Nosler, Hornady, Hodgdon, even Barnes offer data. You cannot load without this data.

I am a big Nosler fan because I find them to be the best. Their books used to contain details on loading but that seems to have ceased. Check used book store you may find older manuals.

Next determine which caliber you want to start with. Begin to read everything you can find.

I create a reload folder on my browser and every article, component source, link, you name it goes in that folder.

You will need roughly, estimate here, $500.00 in reload components. Press. Dies. scale. case prep tools. Primer seating tools. micrometer. a peaceful quiet place where young kids and flames along with breezes are not present. Later on you will need brass cleaning equipment.

Buy once cry once is very true when acquiring reloading hardware. I have 4 primer seating tools and only use 1-which is more expensive than other 3 combined and strangely enough well worth the cost.

Never ever guess.
Always check your scale zero before you start weighing gunpowder.
Always create dummy examples of what you think is the correct size (no primer or powder) and insure they will cycle through your rifle.
Examine your first round fired for overpressure signs. Flattened primers are first, sticky bolt lift is next. And yes, get a rubber mallet.

Keep written records of your work.

aimsmall

Sorry I'm in Dickson and work in Nashville. But will drive a little bit for sure. I understand there are manuals and videos but I guess I'm just more comfortable learning hands on and would just enjoy meeting someone to show me how they do things and offer their ideas. Thanks for any help as always.
Not sure if you're set up or not but I'm looking to get out of the reloading game as time & kids has me wrapped up. Just PM me if interested.

TNBillyEarl

I started down this road in the summer of 2020. Everything mentioned above I did sans the class in Chapel Hill. The folks on TNdeer have sold me components and given me superb direction. Especially MUP. I am greatly indebted. I've gone from a 1 rifle guy to a 3 rifle guy with 20 different sizes/styles of bullets, 5 different powders, 4 different cases, 4 different primer types, etc... All for only 2 calibers. It was a great decision to dive in; one I should have made years ago. -B

DaveB

I started handloading for two reasons
1. I fired a Reminigton green box 150 gr round from my 06 and it hit my neighbor's target. Next round hit about 20 feet in front of my target
2. My buddy has a 222 and can shoot the eye out of a gnat at 200 yards and not leave a mark. He Handloads and never stopped reminding me to get going.

Handloading keeps you out of most trouble. And if you get in deep deep trouble, remember that gnat.

DaveTN

Drew,

I hope you find what you need. My background was a Toolmaker in the stamping industry, so I didn't need a lot of help with the mechanics, but mainly with loads, powers, etc. The guys on here helped me a lot. I ran an ad wanting to buy the equipment to get started and a member here hooked me up. Other members helped me with supplies I needed.

As someone that recently started new, I would offer this piece of advice… Try to buy the powder and primers you need. If you can get those, all the other hardware is readily available at normal pricing.

But anyway… here is a bump to the top, maybe someone in your area will help you out.

Latest posts