• Help Support TNDeer:

Release the guillotine !

Carlos

That's surprising, because I always thought there were rules in place to prevent a Monopoly like is being created here.

41Magnum

That's surprising, because I always thought there were rules in place to prevent a Monopoly like is being created here.
Not anymore. Rest assured that stores will be closed and jobs will be lost. Probably some hedge fund type of involvement IMO.
I hate it when this sort of thing happens, long time brands and quality goes out the door. Sad.....

moondawg

Quality of both Bass Pro and Cabela's products have been subpar lately. I have a down vest from Cabela's that I really like, but they don't make them anymore. I have a Redhead camo duffle bag from Bass Pro that I really like. The newer ones, however, are shoddy compared to the one I have.

Last edited:

moondawg

I distinctly remember talking with the store manager of the Bartlett Bass Pro store before the store opened, and he stated that he wanted to put Buck N Bass (remember that place, Memphis peeps?) out of business. I thought it was a bold thing for him to say, but then again, he was a corporate Bass Pro guy with NO ties to the area. Of course he wanted to close them down. And eventually, Buck N Bass DID close since they could not compete with Bass Pro.

Last edited:

younggun308

I can somewhat understand that sentiment, but at the same time, had Bass Pro not bought Cabela's, then Cabela's would have just gone bankrupt, and we'd be no better because of it.

To his credit, Mr. Morris has been much better at profitably managing than all the others. Mr. Morris is very astute, as were Jim & Dick Cabela, understanding the merits of not going into debt, unlike the Ivy League wizards that bankrupted Cabela's.

We'll just have to see more exactly what Bass Pro does with Cabela's and now Sportsman's Warehouse. In particular, Cabela's had always carried higher quality Cabela's branded products than Bass Pro's "Redhead" branded products. At least at present, many the Cabela's "better" products are still available per Bass Pro.

Bass Pro can either do something better, or open more doors for higher-end, higher-quality retailers who may some day be buying Bass Pro. Seems the choice is totally theirs.

For anyone looking for alternatives to Sportman's Warehouse-BassPro-Cabela's, consideration is particularly warranted to Academy, MidwayUSA, and Final Flight Outfitters.

I've bought several high-end items from both MidwayUSA and Final Flight which Bass Pro either didn't have or was out-of-stock.

According to Tucker Carlson’s segment on the whole saga, Cabela’s decision to sell wasn’t driven by lack of profitability, but by a group of investors who acquired 10% stock and leveraged it to convince the board to sell.

MUP

Supporter
I'm very much against all this market consolidation that is going on. The consumer wins when there is competition and buying options.

There is much less "Winning" going on when just a few companies control the whole market.

That's all made worse by Bass Pro's steady decline in quality.
AND steady increase in prices.

Bone Collector

Supporter
I think this was posted last month. It has been official. I was in there and they (associates) said that they were told that BPS likes their store layout and marketing model, which is why they bought them. They were told that they would keep it in tact as much as possible. No layoffs were planned at that time, but that was early on.

I asked them if they would take BPS rewards, and they said, most likely yes, once everything is finalized.

JCDEERMAN

I think this was posted last month. It has been official. I was in there and they (associates) said that they were told that BPS likes their store layout and marketing model, which is why they bought them. They were told that they would keep it in tact as much as possible. No layoffs were planned at that time, but that was early on.

I asked them if they would take BPS rewards, and they said, most likely yes, once everything is finalized.
I'm sure they said the same thing about Cabelas......

old guy

Supporter
I shop BP for anything they have that fits my needs . I usually order
items directly from the manufacturers that I want that are of good quality because you cant find those items in the big box stores . BP fills a lot of the needs of the outdoorsman but the quality is going south . Maybe we need to send these posts to Mr. Morris .

JeepKuntry

15 years ago BPS is where I went for my things outdoors. I bought my archery equipment and bows from Eagle Wings Archery. I have been to BP 1 time in probably 3 or 4 years. Their clothing is of lesser quality so I buy direct and other things I will shop online when places have free ship etc. BPS sold out to the almighty dollar years ago and they're taking every company they can down to monopolize.

DaveB

I go into original BP store on occasion but mostly when I am desperate or cannot wait for shipping.

BP prices are just too high. Academy beats them on some items but overall Academy sells more sneakers than fishing rods.

I hated BuckNBass. Entire staff I ever came into contact with was rude to the max.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts