Regs for bringing deer west to east

Ladys man

Since I live and mostly hunt on east side I haven't really kept up with CWD regs, but thinking about planning a long weekend at Nachez Trace during thanksgiving. What's the rules for bringing meat and heads back?

I'm assuming I'll have to find a processor there and leave it but wanting to check first.

scn

If you kill a buck and want to transport the antlers, there are a couple of options. You can do the Euro deal and boil out the skull where there is zero meat or brain material left.

Or you can cut off the skull cap and remove all meat and membrane. Treating with a heavy bleach solution finishes the cleaning.

Ladys man

If you kill a buck and want to transport the antlers, there are a couple of options. You can do the Euro deal and boil out the skull where there is zero meat or brain material left.

Or you can cut off the skull cap and remove all meat and membrane. Treating with a heavy bleach solution finishes the cleaning.
So if wanted a shoulder mount would have to find a taxi out there?

DeerCamp

So if wanted a shoulder mount would have to find a taxi out there?
Like lost lake said, you can cape it out yourself, and then cut the skull cap out and clean it. Take those both to a taxidermist and you're good.

Just make sure you know what you are doing, or could end up costing more money to fix cape issues.

Ladys man

Like lost lake said, you can cape it out yourself, and then cut the skull cap out and clean it. Take those both to a taxidermist and you're good.

Just make sure you know what you are doing, or could end up costing more money to fix cape issues.
Being as if I've never caped one I'll just find a taxi there and make the drive back to retrieve it.

So on the meat all we have to do is debone the meat? Where and what would we need to do to get it tested? If necessary?

swd

Being as if I've never caped one I'll just find a taxi there and make the drive back to retrieve it.

So on the meat all we have to do is debone the meat? Where and what would we need to do to get it tested? If necessary?
Depending on where you are hunting, there are drop off coolers you can leave the head in.

rodtodd

Depending on where you are hunting, there are drop off coolers you can leave the head in.

Only leave doe heads in the coolers. They dispose of the heads after they cut the glands out . You have to cut the gland out yourself or find a taxidermist/processor to do it.

Ladys man

JeepKuntry

FYI make sure they will cape to transport out of CWD before they start. Most do a standard cape and you cannot legally transport. When we hunt in Hardeman Co we have Tim Rixie from Nature's Legacy do our taxidermy work since he's local there.

Headhunter

I believe in following the regs and I understand trying to slow the spread (the kill ALL the deer in areas is absolutely stupid and ignorant because of history in other states that have tried it) but I believe everything that is being attempted is a waste of time and money, HOPEFULLY NOT! But because of the following it most likely is.

Since crow and coyote feces can spread CWD (at one of the deer meetings a few years ago that is what was presented, crow and coyote feces do spread CWD. So after the meeting I asked a TWRA person at the meeting, I believe he is/was a biologist about hawk and eagle poop spreading CWD, he replied that CWD doesn't work that way, hawk and eagle poop don't spread CWD myself and the group around me disagreed with him and then laughed at him, if coyote and crow poop spread CWD, which was stated in the meeting, then why not hawks and eagles?)

And since crows, coyotes, hawks and eagles can spread CWD through poop, then there is truly no stopping it and it is just a matter of time. For sure it can be slowed, but how can it be stopped?

If someone has scientific evidence that CWD cannot be spread through animal feces, could you share it?

Ladys man

FYI make sure they will cape to transport out of CWD before they start. Most do a standard cape and you cannot legally transport. When we hunt in Hardeman Co we have Tim Rixie from Nature's Legacy do our taxidermy work since he's local there.
That was another thing I was going to look into, a good taxidermist that's close.

Bagg-it Tag-it

There is a drop off cooler for CWD testing in the park. It is on the south side of I-40 down even further south than the Visitor Center. I call where it is the crossroads because a bunch of road converge there. Cooler is at 35.76728,-88.27728

Good luck. Not a high deer density in NT but it is a big piece of ground for sure and fun.

TNLynn

Ive bleached a few skulls a few years ago and all the skulls came apart. Never happens with peroxide.

Ladys man

There is a drop off cooler for CWD testing in the park. It is on the south side of I-40 down even further south than the Visitor Center. I call where it is the crossroads because a bunch of road converge there. Cooler is at 35.76728,-88.27728

Good luck. Not a high deer density in NT but it is a big piece of ground for sure and fun.
Thank you, good info.
We use to go every year but life gets busy and we haven't been back in probably 3 yrs.

Latest posts