Registering one from out of state

Grnwing

I still send Florida a check every year to keep my boats registered down there. I couldnt believe how TN handled the registration when I brought titles to registrars office. Kept them registered in Florida ever since.

scn

I still send Florida a check every year to keep my boats registered down there. I couldnt believe how TN handled the registration when I brought titles to registrars office. Kept them registered in Florida ever since.
Just realize that if they stay in TN for more than 60 consecutive days that you are in violation of TN law by not having them registered here.

DaveTN

That's wild.. How did they find out about the trailer if you never told them?
Because when a dealer doesn't collect sales tax in another state, they send the information to your state. Since I was going to have to pay sales tax when I registered it in Tennessee, whether I paid it there or not, I got a sales tax exemption. I planed on paying it here when I registered it. But when I found out it didn't require a plate; I didn't register it. It took a while, but Tennessee sent me a letter wanting their money...plus penalty.

Bgoodman30

Do you keep them in FL? Do you property down there?

Bgoodman30

Actually, it is correct by the letter of the law.

Some county clerks go with their versions.
The sales or use tax should be paid on the full amount charged for an automobile, trailer, or other motor vehicle or boat without any deductions for labor or other charges for preparing a motor vehicle or boat for sale, freight, federal excise tax, etc. The tax should also be paid on the full amount charged for any accessories or parts sold with and installed on a motor vehicle or boat. Any installation labor in connection with a sale of accessories, or repair labor involved in installing, replacing, or repairing parts on a motor vehicle or boat, is subject to the sales or use tax. [Tennessee sales and use tax rule 1320-05-01-.03]

Latest posts