• Help Support TNDeer:

Reelfoot shootings

sll

Did any of you guys that live near Reelfoot hear anything else lately of what actually went down during the duck hunting altercation back in January?

RUGER

Supporter
The shooter was suffering from dementia and possibly early onset of alzheimers.
He came to their blind and asked to hunt with them.
When they said he could he entered the blind, then as one of the boys pulled into the boat shed, from retrieving a duck, he turned and shot him in the chest, knocking him into the water.
One of them then came from the shooting hole of the blind and as he was headed towards the shooter he pulled the trigger on him as well but his gun jammed.
That man then took the gun away from him and hit him with the stock of the gun, knocking him unconscious and causing him to fall out of the blind and into the boat.
The other two then pulled the young man into the boat and began performing CPR on him as they headed to the boat ramp.
Before they got there the shooter woke up, grabbed the "cripple" gun and shot the boy performing CPR.
At that point the third man either pushed or hit him causing him to fall into waist deep water and then continued to the bank to get help.
The shooter was last seen trying to get up on some cypress knees.
He was found a few days later, after the water went down from recent rains, deceased.

It was not over swing shooting or anything else.

TNGunsmoke

Probably also worth noting that the survivor was not another 20 something man, but was a man in his 50s. I've seen a lot of posts online referring to him as in the same age bracket as the two victims.

Omega

Here we go again; that is a way different than the other stories I heard going around. The part where the gun jammed BEFORE the second shot is new, so is the part where he regained consciousness and shot the second guy.

For you duck hunters; how often do your duck SGs jam? Was the SG pump or semi? I don't duck hunt so some of this stuff I had to research (the whole swing thing) but I have hunted dove, and seldom if ever did I have an issue with jamming, but I used a Win Mod 1200 pump, so maybe autos are different. And how big was the boat? Were all four on the same boat? Different boats? Raises way too many questions.

RUGER

Supporter
Here we go again; that is a way different than the other stories I heard going around. The part where the gun jammed BEFORE the second shot is new, so is the part where he regained consciousness and shot the second guy.

For you duck hunters; how often do your duck SGs jam? Was the SG pump or semi? I don't duck hunt so some of this stuff I had to research (the whole swing thing) but I have hunted dove, and seldom if ever did I have an issue with jamming, but I used a Win Mod 1200 pump, so maybe autos are different. And how big was the boat? Were all four on the same boat? Different boats? Raises way too many questions.
Yes there were alot of "stories" going around that had some or no truth to them.

As for the jamming, it does happen on occasion but depends almost 100% on the brand of the gun and how well it is maintained.

The three hunters were in one boat when they went to the blind from the ramp, the shooter came over in his boat from the blind he was hunting in, which is about 250 yards away.
On the way out all four were in the same boat.

RUGER

Supporter
Probably also worth noting that the survivor was not another 20 something man, but was a man in his 50s. I've seen a lot of posts online referring to him as in the same age bracket as the two victims.
Correct, he graduated high school with my wife.
Those two "boys" he was hunting with were like sons to him, he had hunted with both of them, as well as one of their fathers for years.

eddie c

For you duck hunters; how often do your duck SGs jam?
I'm not going to question the gun jamming for several reasons. We don't know how often it was cleaned or the condition of the gun. If it's a pump it could have been short shucked and the next shell not hit the chamber.
My duck, turkey and dove gun is a Browning BPS. 3 years ago it started jamming every other shot.

Chaneylake

What Ruger posted is basically what happened.
I got the same facts from "TWRA"

you have 2 options
1. believe what TWRA says
2. suck on a lolli-pop

at least you have a choice.

Tnshooter15

When they said he could he entered the blind, then as one of the boys pulled into the boat shed, from retrieving a duck, he turned and shot him in the chest, knocking him into the water.
One of them then came from the shooting hole of the blind and as he was headed towards the shooter he pulled the trigger on him as well but his gun jammed.
That man then took the gun away from him and hit him with the stock of the gun, knocking him unconscious and causing him to fall out of the blind and into the boat.
The other two then pulled the young man into the boat and began performing CPR on him as they headed to the boat ramp.
Before they got there the shooter woke up, grabbed the "cripple" gun and shot the boy performing CPR.
At that point the third man either pushed or hit him causing him to fall into waist deep water and then continued to the bank to get help.
He was found a few days later, after the water went down from recent rains, deceased.

Thank you for posting this. Alot of the stories I had read right after it happened never made any sense. So sad for all involved and their family and friends. Prayers to all

Omega

What Ruger posted is basically what happened.
I got the same facts from "TWRA"

you have 2 options
1. believe what TWRA says
2. suck on a lolli-pop

at least you have a choice.
Nice; but you forgot the another option, which is to not GAS, which is kind of where I am heading with this.

Wildcat

Ruger,

WPSD-TV would never give you a job, NBC would cut them off. You report too many facts where everybody can clearly understand them.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

Latest posts