Reelfoot Deer Hunt

beefydeer

Grassy is a huge block of woods, primarily cypress trees. While you are scouting look for patches of oaks near thick cover. There are small patches of oak trees scattered in the large timber and deer come to them like crazy. Climb a tree and sit as long as you can. They will come to the acorns. The terrain is totally flat and the water does not bother the deer. It is a good idea to wear chest waders. Cypress knees make the deer drag really fun. I have hunted the cypress woods around Reelfoot for the last 25 years. Beautiful place.

saugerboss

Thanks for that advice. I’m looking forward to hunting wetlands like Reelfoot. I hope to get a few cool weekends to bow hunt it and learn a little before the rifle hunt. I’m hoping to get away from the casual hunters and let them push deer to me. That’s my plan anyway. I hope to find some ground that fits that strategy.

saugerboss

I’ve never brought a backup Thermacell but this might be the place to do it. Walking and scouting will be the tough part there with the mosquitos and snakes. Hopefully we get some abnormally cool weather before Nov.

One question for those that have hunted it….is the main access off of the west side, Walnut Log or can it be accessed through the WMA on the east side?

RUGER

Supporter
Far as I know, unless you can get permission to cross private land the only access (by truck) is Walnut Log.

beefydeer

.is the main access off of the west side, Walnut Log or can it be accessed through the WMA on the east side
The main access is through Walnut Log. Some of the land owners along Hwy 22 will grant you access across their land. There is also some state owned land on Hwy 22 that you can go across to access the federal refuge. If you really want to get away from the people go in by boat if you have a small boat. Google maps is your friend.

saugerboss

The main access is through Walnut Log. Some of the land owners along Hwy 22 will grant you access across their land. There is also some state owned land on Hwy 22 that you can go across to access the federal refuge. If you really want to get away from the people go in by boat if you have a small boat. Google maps is your friend.
Thanks for the good info. I’m looking forward to seeing a new place. It’s been a long time since I’ve hunted something besides hills. I grew up hunting river bottoms so this will be fun to hunt those kind of woods again.

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by David Haney
    GOT THIS GUY 2 DAYS AFTER XMAS WITH MY 7MM RUM.
    • David Haney
    • Updated:

Latest posts