Recommendations for Guided Elk Hunt 2022

Weegee

My father used to be a pretty serious deer hunter, but has lost the fire in recent years. I've gotten more into hunting of late, and we like to day dream about a big game hunt out west. We've come to the conclusion that it's now or never as he's not getting any younger. Our plan is to go next year, and hire a guide with pack horses (he's got horses and we like to ride). It looks like Colorado has over the counter Elk tags for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rifle season, although it looks like odds for drawing a 1st season tag without preference points are still good. I have hunted mule deer in Idaho once, so I have somewhat of an idea about the gear we'll need. I've never done a guided hunt but I figure once the $5,000 kick in the nuts wears off I will be happy with the increased odds and having someone to cook me breakfast...

Does anyone have any guide recommendations?

LanceS4803

Sorry, nothing in CO.
I did my first ever guided hunt in UT this past September, MZ. Even though I lived out there a long time, I just don't have the time to do the required scouting.
My hunt was $5,400 and well worth it. (Yeah it hurts, still does, but worth it.) Would I have liked a true DIY? Of course, but that just wasn't going to happen with the number of points I had to burn.
On the second morning I had my guide along with 2 more that acted as spotters.
On the day I took my bull, I had the Lead guide and my own guide. Together they called in 5 bulls.
If you want, I can talk to them and see if they have recommendations in CO.

gtk

Staff member
No "guide" recommendations, but some thoughts.

Study sites like "huntstats" to get an idea for the area you are wanting to hunt. Also there is a website that has reviews for a lot of guides. There's another website I have seen that sells leftover tags as well.

Even though its 1.5 yrs away, its still pretty short notice. Some of the guides that my friends use, are booked out 5 yrs. However, Covid has changed that. Ask for references, preferably from recent hunts.

Several places offer cow hunts. If your objective is to enjoy the mountains and bring home meat, this may be option

Think of other options, like a drop-camp or trespass-fee hunt. More affordable.

Weegee

Looks like there are OTC tags in Utah (I think), so we'll definitely consider that option.

When I went to Idaho last year we did it totally DIY to save money. We had a great time but seeing as how this may be my one and only big game hunt with my dad I'd rather pay money for a guide to have a much better percentage of taking an elk. Then I can go back to being cheap 😂

tellico4x4

Sorry, nothing in CO.
I did my first ever guided hunt in UT this past September, MZ. Even though I lived out there a long time, I just don't have the time to do the required scouting.
My hunt was $5,400 and well worth it. (Yeah it hurts, still does, but worth it.) Would I have liked a true DIY? Of course, but that just wasn't going to happen with the number of points I had to burn.
On the second morning I had my guide along with 2 more that acted as spotters.
On the day I took my bull, I had the Lead guide and my own guide. Together they called in 5 bulls.
If you want, I can talk to them and see if they have recommendations in CO.
Would you mind sharing guide info for Utah? Have 9 pp & thinking it may be closer to time to use them as ain't getting any younger....

LanceS4803

Would you mind sharing guide info for Utah? Have 9 pp & thinking it may be closer to time to use them as ain't getting any younger....

Cache, Meadowville Unit, LE Bull Elk:
In 2020, 5 points took it for Archery, Hunt EB3003 - 7 tags
9 points for Any Legal Weapon, EB3032 - 3 tags
Luck of the draw for Any Legal Weapon, EB3033 - 2 tags
I took it with 10 points (next closest was 7) for MZ, EB3081 - 1 tag only

I used Kearl Ranch Outfitters, just south of Bear Lake. PM sent with contact info.

dgolden

Myself, my dad, and 2 buddies hunted with Mountain View Adventures in northwest colorado in 2018. 3 of us killed bulls. A few other members on here have hunted with them as well.
Bob and his guides busted their tails to get us in front of some elk.
You're not likely to set any records with elk in that area, but it's a good place to shoot a legal bull. Hunt is $4,000 for 9 days of hunting, meals, and a small cabin.
I went and hunted the same area of public this past year for a DIY hunt. Once I can get a buddy or two to go on another guided hunt, we'll go with Mountainview again.

hunter0925

Myself, my dad, and 2 buddies hunted with Mountain View Adventures in northwest colorado in 2018. 3 of us killed bulls. A few other members on here have hunted with them as well.
You're not likely to set any records with elk in that area, but it's a good place to shoot a legal bull. Hunt is $4,000 for 9 days of hunting, meals, and a small cabin.
I went and hunted the same area of public this past year for a DIY hunt. Once I can get a buddy or two to go on another guided hunt, we'll go with Mountainview again.
I will be back with them again in 2024. Remember though, I believe colorado restructured their seasons and the second and third are only 7 day hunts now. Luckily I should have a 21 deer tag next time also.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Did you need any point? Did that come with the tags?

LanceS4803

You bring up a good point that I left out:
There are also landowner tags available as well as auction tags in western states for pretty much any species.
Neither require points.

Latest posts