Recommendations for Binos

TennSportsman

What brand and style is your favorite that you have used? I've had some Nikon Monarchs for about 8 years, and they have ran their course. I'm looking for a quality pair with great glass that will fit in a day pack.

Remington700

Depends on what you want to spend. I just went through the same thing. There are really nice binos out there, but they will cost you. I ended up going back with Nikon Monarch 7 in 10x42. So far I am not disappointed. It is a good match of quality at a reasonable price point.

rem270

I have a pair of the Vanguard Endeavor 10x42. FOV is around 371 I believe. I got them off a recommendation on here and have been very pleased with them. I caught them on sale for like $250 one year off Cabela's.

Coldfusion

Vortex diamondback I like 10x42 personally for general use

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bowhunterfanatic

Buy once cry once. This is one purchase where you will never regret spending more than what you might've initially planned as long as you take good care of whatever you buy. I haven't bit the bullet yet, but my next pair will be Swaro, top of the line Vortex, or Leica.

rem270

bowhunterfanatic":23s7pjyu said:
Buy once cry once. This is one purchase where you will never regret spending more than what you might've initially planned as long as you take good care of whatever you buy. I haven't bit the bullet yet, but my next pair will be Swaro, top of the line Vortex, or Leica.
Nothing like a good set of binocs. I've forgot mine once or twice and dang near want to go home when I don't have them.

huntinkev

Curious as to what power you're looking for? I'm following this topic as well for the recommendations and curious if an 8x or 10x is preferred.

TheLBLman

I think the starting point is determining what is the maximum amount of $ you're willing to spend for those binoculars.

Then start looking at various makes & models with price points near your max.
Maybe you'll get lucky, and something you're liking will go on sale.
Patience is your friend.

As to what is best, think it's more an issue of your applications and situation.

I seem to be in the minority about this, but I prefer the old-style "porro" prisms most of the time
because, most of the time, I'm using my binoculars to scan, rather than seeing something first without them.
Porros have the advantage of a much greater "depth of field" in focus ---- a big advantage for scanning, trying to find stuff at unknown distances.

With this type binocular, hard to beat the Steiner brand.

I've owned three different configurations of Steiner Nighthunters,
selling the 10x50's and the 7x50's, while retaining the 8x30's.
These were in the $500 to $1,000 price range a few years ago.
Steiner currently has some decent porros in the $250-$500 range, and up, way up.

Steiner replaced the "Nighthunter" models with other names,
but they offer several different 8x30 porro-prisms,
the key difference being the glass quality --- pay more, get better.

You will get more optical quality for your $ with porros than with the more popular roof prisms.

Here's a great online source for making comparisons . . . . .
https://www.opticsplanet.com/binoculars.html

TheLBLman

bowhunterfanatic":3mwjb9n8 said:
Buy once cry once. . . . . my next pair will be Swaro, top of the line Vortex, or Leica.
I think it's more about how much $ you're willing to spend than the brand.
"Buy" what fits your situation best; don't be "sold" a particular brand.
But some brands (and types) will give you more for your $ than others.

I'm not recommending the below as a primary-use binocular for anyone.
But if you want to explore the porro-prism design, and do more "scanning" to find deer,
particularly bedded deer,
would be hard to beat this value:

Leupold Yosemite . . . .
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-bx ... 630-172703

This 6 x 30 porro-prism configuration is a great low-light "woods" binocular,
and the 6x can be advantageous due to it's greater in focus "depth of field" and wider field of view.

Remington700

huntinkev":oqldc365 said:
Curious as to what power you're looking for? I'm following this topic as well for the recommendations and curious if an 8x or 10x is preferred.
I had this same debate back in the spring. I went with the 10x42 because I wanted an in between size. I use primarily for for turkey season and watching fields. I wanted something I could take out west and use as well.

go_okfishin

TheLBLman":1vcly2mk said:
bowhunterfanatic":1vcly2mk said:
Buy once cry once. . . . . my next pair will be Swaro, top of the line Vortex, or Leica.
I think it's more about how much $ you're willing to spend than the brand.
"Buy" what fits your situation best; don't be "sold" a particular brand.
But some brands (and types) will give you more for your $ than others.

I'm not recommending the below as a primary-use binocular for anyone.
But if you want to explore the porro-prism design, and do more "scanning" to find deer,
particularly bedded deer,
would be hard to beat this value:

Leupold Yosemite . . . .
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-bx ... 630-172703

This 6 x 30 porro-prism configuration is a great low-light "woods" binocular,
and the 6x can be advantageous due to it's greater in focus "depth of field" and wider field of view.

I have these and love them. Excellent in low light.

Mike Belt

It'd be hard for me to recommend any because I jumped from a cheap pair a ways back right into Swarovski and never looked back. I'd probably forget and leave my gun in the truck before I did my binocs. In fact, my binocs go to the woods with me when no weapons do any time of the year.

TennSportsman

A lot of good comments guys. Mostly I'll be using for general use such as looking at different species such as deer, turkeys, ducks, and varmints. Price range is around $850 max. I'm willing to save up for quality gear. My nikons were 8x and I'm fine with that. I really liked the size of them.

Latest posts